Expanding the Fleet

Beautiful boat. Best of luck with it Craig. Be safe.
What is the difference between a Roy "high and low" boat.
What type of water can you get into ?
The Southbay as you know can get into very shallow water; 3". Can the Roy boats do the same ? Thank you very much in advance. Please keep those terrific videos coming.

Bill - didn't see your post until now, was out gunning this afternoon...

The difference between the high and low boats is the deck. The low boat has a more flat, lower profile, deck, usually best for hunting one man and a dog. The high boat has a taller more angled deck for more room. I hunt two men comfortably in mine and could hunt two men and a dog easily if I wanted to. I still have yet to figure out the best place to have the dog sit in the roy boat. Our lab was recovering from surgery most of the season so he hasn't been out much. Regardless it has much more room inside than a southbay which as you know can get a bit cramped with two men.

I'd say the roy boat could get into just about as shallow of water as the southbay, I know it can get into the same water levels as my sneakbox. It does have the V bottom but it floats very high in the water even with a 6 gallon fuel tank, battery and 25 hp outboard like I have on mine. The one benefit it has over the southbay in that regard is you can run the motor in shallow water drive, which is impossible with the southbay unless you like fiberglass work. It is also very light in weight as I've already had to push it off the notorious south jersey mud flats by myself.

I was basically looking for something with a bit more room than a southbay for two guys and this has fit the bill nicely. I feel bad for my sneakbox as I've barely used it even when hunting solo now that I have the roy boat.

Here's a recent shot where I did a quick afternoon solo hunt and didn't even use any natural grass on the raffia for cover.

850E1A80-A454-4242-A495-E36B6A608B59.jpg

The grey ducks didn't seem to mind.

C2BB734D-6FD8-47A3-8321-4A27B93C2075.jpg

Was out doing some striper fishing yesterday and played around a little with one of my new toys...

Screenshot2016-04-30-17h03m11s107.jpg

Screenshot2016-04-30-17h04m13s207.jpg

I had a couple bass and some monster bluefish, just plugging around in the rivers.

Bay bite has been good, I run my Regulator for that, just wanted to take the duck boat to keep it simple.

It's been fun learning to use the drone, looking forward to shooting some footage offshore this year.

7A2B57C1-0D3B-4CEC-B0F2-78D97309BF20.jpg

Last edited:
New season bump, had some fun for the first split of south zone.

Now you see me...

14883522_10100781518487662_8872244036066603466_o.jpg

And now you don't.

14876468_10100780670921192_3569366124070438912_o.jpg

so how are you getting the drone to hover over a moving boat while driving the boat? Yes I can see the controller in your hand.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
so how are you getting the drone to hover over a moving boat while driving the boat? Yes I can see the controller in your hand.
[/font]
I use a third party app called Autopilot. I simply set the altitude and distance from the remote that I want and tell it what bearing to fly. Front, back, left and right. I can cycle settings on the fly so that's how I get some panning shots. Pretty cool and a lot easier than trying to fly it and drive at the same time.

Craig

Thanks for the post. I am in search of a similar rig and while I hoped to go aluminum this is a very interesting option.
Do you think the transom strong enough for a ~18HP longtail?

The boat has a slight Vee bottom and is fiberglass, transom is very strong, but not sure I would go for something that wasn't welded aluminum with a flat bottom for a mud motor.

These boats were really designed for running protected ditches in south jersey where you need a little extra speed for the longer distances... like this: https://youtu.be/xwgDXNaS7No

Craig

Thanks for the post. I am in search of a similar rig and while I hoped to go aluminum this is a very interesting option.

Been looking for the same thing to hang my surface drive off of. Love everything about the Roy boats, but need the ability to run heavy vegitation with the MM.

Craig

Been looking for the same thing to hang my surface drive off of. Love everything about the Roy boats, but need the ability to run heavy vegitation with the MM.

Check out County line boats. They seem to be aligning most with I want right now. Would like to run a higher hp though

The boat has a slight Vee bottom and is fiberglass, transom is very strong, but not sure I would go for something that wasn't welded aluminum with a flat bottom for a mud motor.

These boats were really designed for running protected ditches in south jersey where you need a little extra speed for the longer distances... like this: https://youtu.be/xwgDXNaS7No
ditch the tiller extension and sit on your transom you'll get more speed outta her. Miss that boat she was a screamer with that SS

Hey John I was originally standing and running it before I turned the camera on, hence the short extension handle. It came off pretty quick after I sat down. I'll have to try the transom sit technique lol.

Craig , Had a nice visit Today with you & your Father. Thanks Very much for the bird. I will make good use of it. It was great to exchange some of our hunting experiences over the many Yrs. That your Father & I have had in are earlier days.& now you & your father are enjoying. Thanks for showing me your new Rig Looks great. Plus your Great Decoys. Wish you well with it all. Plus the enjoyment you have already had using it.
Look forward some of your up coming Videos of your hunts.

Back