factory decoys

Brian Rippelmeyer

Looking at purchasing decoys for new boat[BB3] Im building,dont have enough money for hand carved,what do you think about the Herters,burlap,armour coated,etc, what about the blackwater rough rider,what are your suggestions. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you Brian Rippelmeyer

i bought two of the herter's burlap sample decoys last season. their paint is really bad. they have been in slotted bags and still look 20 years old. i would avoid them.

Brian; if you want descent foam core decoys try a dozen of Herters Millennium Magnums, the set & ride well{see cabelas cat.}www.cabelas.com/milleniums there priced at $139.99/doz.My friend David who hunts with me has them & also the goose decoys there photo printed & look really good. At the end of the days hunt if any mud gets on the he merely wipes them off with a wet towel.I just have the regular model #92 's both types are self righting,I think you will like them ,untill you can afford the corkers. I have carved my own corkers & my son did such a nice job painting them that I hate to use them ,but on occasions do get to ride the open marshes. good luck on your choice.

Hi Brian,
One route for DIY decoys is to buy unpainted decoys and finish them yourself. You can buy E. Allen or Herters and then paint them yourself (or burlap the Heters).
You will save a little money but will enjoy having "your own" decoys in your spread.
This site has a few good tutorials on burlapping a Herter, and Lou Tisch has the E. Allen decoys and the paint.
You can also find an occasional deal on ebay or craigslist.

Dave

A second vote for the toledo decoys. Tom makes an indestructable decoy, they look good too. Don't even compare them to the herters burlap, they're not even in the same class...

The burlap deeks only last a few season before the burlap starts peeling back at the keel. I wouldn't recommend them.

Bill

I also would not recomend the Herter's dekes with the exception of the corks. I have had them for years and they are tore up. I also think that they are a bit overpriced. I know that I will get blacklisted for saying this but for afordable, good looking, functional decoys go with GHG. "Ouch, that's gonna hurt"!!!!!

I did order some Herter's armour decoys in Buffleheads. They were on sale for $50 for six and since I had $100 in gift cards I decided to buy 1 dozen. Actually wish I split the order between the buffies and got some Bluebills for the same price.

Not sure how these ones hold up. Any input would be appreciated.

I've built up most of my spread over the years out of herters decoys that I burlapped and painted myself. While not hand carved, you still get a sense of satisfaction shooting over birds you spent some time working on yourself. Burlapped decoys are also very durable and will last many, many years. In recent years I've slowly started replacing herters heads with wooden heads by autumn wings and for species Autumn wings doesn't sell (eider and supermag heads for example) I've use toledo decoy heads. They are both very nice. Not too long ago cabelas was selling unpainted herters decoy bodies 50% off. If the sale is still going on that would be a good way to get some decoys cheap if you don't mind doing a little burlapping and painting.

Last edited:
if you are going to buy them i got one thing to say green head gear. if you get them get the sloted decoy bags the paint will last alot lomger.

My choices for decoys:

E Allen - buy em and paint them yourself

Toledo Decoy - good if you are a boat hunter - heavy - they ride the big water well

Many thanks for the responces,I will be going with the Toledo decoys,you guys are always a big help,I really appreciate it.Thanks again Brian Rippelmeyer

Brian

If funds are limited try Quack Decoys. They are rubber. I have a dozen of them. I ordered three different heads for the dozen so I can use them for different ducks. Black ducks, Scoters and Brant. I have one dozen magnum bodies that I can switch around for what ever I want. They are real tough, ride good.

Pete

Dave is right on the money! I LOVE my Herters AFTER I burlap and paint them. Factory ready to hunt Herters stink. But, they are a great foundation to build very nice gunning decoys on. I buy used ones and new unpainted bodies and heads. E Allens are awsome as well. I'm adding them as I can to take away the cookie cutter look of having all Herters on my long lines.

GHG looks like the way to go for out of the box decoys.

Gene

Another vote for Tom Tshabold's Toledo Decoys. Tom is a good guy and his decoys are rugged. No problems with the paint at all. I keep my dekes in slotted bags and only have to touch up the occasional scuff with some flat enamel.

One thing at a time. Finish the boat. Then if you have the time before next season knocking out a dozen plain cork black duck decoys is a "walk in the park" compared to building a boat. If you don't have time (most likely) - I'd buy a couple dozen plastic decoys of the cheapest Cabelas has to offer AND GET IN THE GAME!!.

Tons of advice on the BB about decoy paint. None I have noticed on my least favorite pet pieve - decoys that don't automatically land bottom side down when you throw them out in the AM before legal shooting time (in a hurry).

Back