Favorite pintail decoy

Wesley Bouchelle

Well pintails have to be my favorite bird i have a great bird carved by Jode Hillman. Just want to see what everyones pintail favorites !!!

Last edited:
Good morning, Wesley~

Pintail has been one of my favorites to carve over the years. This is one I did for Christmas 2014 for a fellow duckboats.net member - hollow pine in oils. Tails are always hickory:

Pintail%201_zpsxtwsreom.jpg

This is one species where I prefer to put in many of the individual feathers, especially aft:

IMG_0692_zpsgr7rrqwo.jpg

This is an earlier bird - done with acrylics:

Pintail%20Back%20-%20pineapple%20-%20sm_zpskm4rmf8g.jpg

And here is a pair of gunners from my rig - early 80s:

Pintail%20Pair%20-%20Gunners_zps9abm4ytn.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Only pintail I have done which was for a friend in exchange for some tools. Wish I could've kept this one though. I plan on making a few for my rig.

Great Decoys, All!

Hank, I have always liked Rob's decoys. Simple and elegant. I like them more since I met and got to spend some time with him at the Ward Expo last year. He's very knowledgeable, humble and a great guy!

Pintails are probably my favorite duck. There is so much to like about them. This is a recent Sprig I made for and donated to the New Jersey Decoy Collectors association. This Decoy is to be raffled at Our NJDCA show on March 28th. All proceeds to benefit the club. If you attend the show be sure to buy a ticket to support a great organization!

As for me my favorites are probably these pair of Wards. Made to be hunted I think they have everything a great decoy should and not much in the way of Fluff!

I love Oliver Lawsons pintails especially the hen. I'll see if i can find one that i believe Geoff Vine posted a while back.

cant go wrong with any of those decoys they are gorgeous. I would love to carve one one day I think my carving skills are up for the challenge, my painting skills arent....lol

I too love the ward pintails...the cans and broadbills get all the love but this is probably my favorite pintail

I always thought Greyson made a great pintail gunner too..

and Mueller always a favorite...

Aside from my recent purchase of a Jode Hillman Pintail, this is my only other pintail. Made by Thomas Chambers in Ontario circa 1900 in mostly original paint with obvious wear. Very rare species for the maker and Ontario as a whole.

[inline pintail.jpg]
View attachment Pintail.jpg

Last edited:
Back