foam questions

My buddy bought a diver decoy mold, any idea what company I should contact to purchase foam from?? we are planning on making 100 decoys any idea how much we will need?? how does the ratio and 2 part foam work in a mold? his mold is not a solid decoy like Toledo with a flat bottom, will it need a weighted keel.... thinking it will need 4 to 8 oz ??? thanks for any input!!! Jesse O

US Compositea fus. I like the 5 pound for the bodies, and 8 pound for the heads. If you choose to go with 5 pound.... you need to buy 5 gallons of both part A& B. I get about 5 dozen out of that amount. The 5 pound if very durable. A full load of 3" #3 at 10 yards, and nothing happens to it... Keep in mind, the higher # foam the smaller the yeild and heavier the decoy.

BTW- for the mold I have... the keel helps alot.

You can see how strong the 5# is...
truckondecoy2.jpg

Hello Phill, I’m Jesse buddy, Sam. Jesse has been asking the question on my behalf. I have a few more questions if you have time to help. I’m trying to establish a starting base on making my decoys. What is the size of your mold? And the amount of mix you use? I went to the site US composite and I can’t seem to find the 5lb foam, I found a 4lb and 8lb mix. Is the 4lb strong enough for the body?
Thank you, for any hello you can give me.

My mold is the Magnum size diver from Black Lab Decoys. 4 pound is heavy enough, they say.. but the 5 bound is much more durable... I think. You have to buy the 5 gallon kits to get the 5#. It is the same price. You will get more decoys per volume with the 4 pound.. but ...

I have made up a tutorial on the process. It is at home someplace. I will look for it.... I am thinking it was 7/8 cup of A & B per bird... but I am going off of memory. It has been 2 years since I made any.

thank you very much for your help.. If you ever want to fish the detirot river for walleye .. just let me know. I'm pretty good Jiging that river. And i would lover to return the favor.

Sorry... sent it to the wrong address.....

I might take you up on some layout hunting... I have the tender and layouts and decoys....

Back