Frustrating hunt

Robert Schaffer

Still not what i would call "duck hunting weather" but managed to find some birds and have a good hunt this morning. Woke up to 70 degree temps and 20mph south wind last two days. Sunday hunted a local duck club with my good buddy Kenny but the owner of the club brought a friend of his from Australia. He was a very nice guy but didnt know how to shut up when ducks where working and he was not trying to be quiet! I keep trying to be nice and tell him be quiet as nice as i could but it did not work, and if that was not bad enough when he finally shut up long enough for a duck to give us a good look he sky busted the sucker on the second pass! I mean you could not have hit this duck with 3 1/2 in shell and a full turkey chock.. i was pissed needless to say, but after that the owner of the club told him we would let the other ones get alittle closer which would of been great but there where no more birds that day. It was a disapointing morning but i did get a few pics of the slough.
View attachment 1121000824.jpg.
View attachment 1121000824b.jpg.
Todays hunt was alittle better you cant see them real good in the pics but we killed a greenhead, greenwing teal, 2 pintails, and 4 shovlers. Took my brother in law and my 14 year old cousin that i have converted to a duckohlic..lol
View attachment 112200091401.jpg.
View attachment 112200091402.jpg.

Robert You cant catch a break on the weather. North wind when I go, south wind when You go. Nice bag. Any bag with pintails is a nice bag.

Robert, you were very lucky to get what you did. There have been many times in my lifetime of hunting ducks when there was not a one to hang on a strap. You guys did well.
I liked your pictures. Thanks
Al

Robert, you were very lucky to get what you did. There have been many times in my lifetime of hunting ducks when there was not a one to hang on a strap. You guys did well.
I liked your pictures. Thanks
Al Robert, Ditto what Al said. Keep posying those pics. Best, William

I've had those hunts where we brought someone along and wished from the time we got to the ramp that we didn't. it can be frustrating. I am much more picky about who I invite now and make sure they understand the game plan up front too.

Did your spoonies from day 2 have any color yet? Few birds nicer than a full plumage drake spoonie. And down here they dont taste bad at all.
14 year olds make good partners, old enough to help out, but young & full of energy, good for picking up decoys!

Carl, yea the drakes where really starting to get some good color and i agree they dont taste that much different.. expectually when there rapped in jalapenos and bacon..lol
My 14 year old cousin is alot of help to but the best part is he is very eager to learn all he can about the sport and really listens and dont argue with me about decoy placement..lol i love taken him and hopefully we will hunt together for many years to come.. and i tell you what for only being 14 the kid can shoot!

nice pics and shooting. You teaching your cousin will be something that he will apperciate his whole life and never forget. Ive got a little brother that i taught. He comes home every thanksgiving and we get in a few duck hunts and he still talks about the hunts when we were kids. I'll meet him in the blind first thing tomorrow morning to kick off 3 days of shooting. Cant wait!!!! Now i just have to make it out from behind this desk.

Back