gas oil mix ratio on 15 yamaha

Dave, Did you get the motor on your way through Ohio? Also, you running out the gas in the carb after every trip? The lead mechanic where I bought mine told me that's the best thing to do on these 15hp.

Ryan,

I picked mine up in Holman WI on my way back from the UP MI. I don't believe in running the gas out, never have on any two cycle engine. If I want the carb empty, I prefer to drain it rather than run the engine dry. Seeing as I haven't had any issues for many years, I doubt I will change now.

I have read this tread with great interest also. I am convinced as is Ryan that so long as more oil doesn't cause fouling issues, why not. More oil is certainly better than not enough. The engine I save could be mine. Thanks to the contributors on this thread - good old common sense goes a long way.

Also, Dave I have never run the motor out of fuel until the last couple of years. I never had problems leaving fuel in the motor in the past. You have given me pause to rethink my "new" practice of running it out. On the other hand, in the old days, we didn't have ethanol to deal with. Anyone have any thoughts on that ?

Great thread

Bill

I'm not sure what Yamaha calls for but one thing for sure is if it's smoking running rough at idle and fouling plugs and the gas is fresh, then it's too rich. I read here where people say they would rather have too much oil then not enough..learn what ratio your motor likes best and mix it to that Every time..I have been Stihl mechanic for years, and I have watched the evolution from 40:1 to 50:1. when Stihl leaned things from 32:1 in the old days to 40:1, the burns on the plug went from black/wet to brown/wet, which was still too rich (to much oil) When they finally make the transisition from 40:1-50:1 it went from brown/wet to brown/dry. That's where a 2 stroke burns best. Read Your Spark Plugs. too much oil is just as bad as not enough..for those of you guys that have tore engines down and seen the black wet carboned deposits left on the combustion chambers, top of the pistons, and how badly it gums up the ring grooves on the piston know the effects of running rich mixtures in 2 stroke engines..I ran for years in my 2 strokes Ams-oil synthetic 100:1 but I mixed it at 90:1 and you talk about running clean..no smoke, smooth idle, and the engines don't load up like they do running 50:1 mineral base oils..Huge Difference..Too many guys put so much gas in their tanks and then guess as they dump oil into the gas..If you want to get it perfect Every Time, buy whats called a Ratio-Rite cup from your local motorcycle shop and it will tall you exactly how many oz's of oil to add for how many gallons of gas..it takes all the guess work out of mixing..Your 2 strokes will run so much better, you can't help but notice the difference..check your spark plugs, and if they are black and wet cut back on the oil just a bit, then run it through the next tank and keep cutting back and make note of how much oil you added to that tank until your plug reading is where you need it..your engine will thank you and last far longer..

Unfortuntalely we have no choice but to run Ethanol fuel these days, and it's the worse thing we can use in aluminum pistons engine such as all our small engines have in them..I run nothing But Premium gas in my small enignes with a small shot of Klotz octane booster..Ethanol cause premature wear and detonation. run the best gas you can get your hands on..As someone mentioned, do not run your engines out of gas to run them dry..the piston and cylinder wall needs fuel/oil to keep it lubricated and when you run them out of gas they run unlubricated and season after season it will cause major scoring due to metal to metal surfaces...drain the carb float bowl out instead...run a fuel stabilzer if you are not going to drain your tank..put a teaspoon of motor oil in the cylinders and turn the engine over slowly a few times for storage in the off season.. good luck and I hope this helps..

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
On the other hand, in the old days, we didn't have ethanol to deal with. Anyone have any thoughts on that ?

Bill,

I avoid ethanol if at all possible. I don't even burn it in my truck. So far, in my area, we still have a choice in the gasoline that is available for purchase.

Some good points have been made in regards to "reading" your plugs for proper mixture. This can sometimes be misleading in that the same spark-plug can be had in different heat ranges which will affect the carbon deposits on it. As has been mentioned, one should also be aware of the carbon deposits on the rings and top of the piston. Many times the rings are visible thru the exhaust ports if the muffler is removed say on a chain saw engine for example. The rings are not that easy to access on an outboard engine so one is limited to viewing the plugs and the top of the piston for the most part.

On an outboard engine, if you have a black oily residue building up and dripping from the prop hub (exhaust ports) it could be sign that you may be using too much oil in your fuel mixture.
[/font]

If you want to get it perfect Every Time, buy whats called a Ratio-Rite cup from your local motorcycle shop and it will tall you exactly how many oz's of oil to add for how many gallons of gas..it takes all the guess work out of mixing.

Ernie make a very good point, don't guess.

I use a marked measure similar to the one he has mentioned. It is calibrated for several different ratios. I use the 32 to 1 ratio markings but double the amount of gas called for so my actual mixture comes out at 64 to 1.
[/font]

Dave,

Wish I had a choice to get fuel w/o ethanol. I though Ernie's post was interesting. I have only run about 12 gallons through my Yami15 - but I may learn something from the plugs when I pull them out over the next two days.

The black from the prop hub is an interesting thought. The Yami has shown no evidence of it but my Johnson 115 on my fishing boat has had this occur. The problem with that is that it is oil injected. Kinda poses another problem as far as adjustment goes. The more I read, the less clear it is as what course of action to take.

If the Yami plugs look good, I think I'll up the oil to 64:1. The more I think about it the less confident I am that it is getting sufficient oil at 100:1.

Appreciate the input.

Bill

So does anyone know if Yamaha's as a whole have negative issues with actually using a 100:1 mixture? Cuz that is what I am doing on mine... Then again I just ran it out of fuel today...... wth

Then again I just ran it out of fuel today...... wth

Phil, The guys at Yamaha will gladly sell you a new motor in a few years. :>)

[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
So does anyone know if Yamaha's as a whole have negative issues with actually using a 100:1 mixture?

My motor is hardly broke in so I can't say for sure just what mixture I will be running two or three years from now. I started at 50 to 1 first 6 gallons then switched to 64 to 1 to date. I will have to check my plug and piston "readings" before going leaner. I fully expect that I may go leaner, but I'll let the engine tell me.
[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] I doubt that I will ever run at a true 100 to 1 mixture.

[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Edit; Ah yes, I forgot, the first tank was 25 to 1 then I switched to 50 to1 and so on[/font]
[/font]

Last edited:
I've been using mine at 100:1 for the past three plus seasons with no issues whatsoever. Starts on the first pull every time, no fouled plugs, etc.

I'm probably more towards 90:1 just because I will err to a little more oil and I also run ring free and startron ethanol additive religiously. It is tough to get non ethanol fuel anymore so I run the startron in everything. Big boat, little boats, etc.

Come on Dave... I think Yamaha has a very good reputation.... I highly doubt that is their objective ....... (btw the auto makers have a secret arrangement with the DOT ... to put a lot of salt on the roads to rot our cars out)....

TAGGED FOR INTEREST.

I WILL ADD, I RECENTLY HAD A 15 H.P. 2 STROKE STOLEN. I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO FIND A NEW LEFTOVER 2009 15 H.P. LOCALLY. MY DEALER, AS WELL AS THE MANUAL RECOMENDED A 25:1 FOR THE FIRST TANK OF FUEL. AFTER THAT YAMAHA RECOMENDS 100:1, BUT MY DEALER ADVISED ME TO RUN 50:1, THAT THE MARGIN FOR ERROR WAS JUST TO THIN. HE ALSO RECOMENED TO RUN THE MOTOR OUT OF GAS AT THE END OF USE, SO I THINK I AM AS LITTLE CONFUSED AS WELL.

gil...same here just got the moter this year and im still breaking it in but im on my last tank of 25 to 1 fuel im gonna run it 50 to 1 to play it safe....motor runs great event on 25 to 1 alil bit of smoke but it doesnt stall it runs good... whn ower season opens again next week im gonna run it a 50 to 1....

Another good method of measuring oil is to use plastic baby bottles if you can still find them. They are especially nice in that you can carry enough oil for a set amount of gas and just dump, even in the dark at the ramp or gas station. Just another wrinkle to the whole process. Keep the info flowing guys!!! I am just a bit selfish in that I will use some of this in my day job teaching tommorrows mechanics. Good thing you never get too old to learn new. BTW I just got a call from a buddy who is trying to find a home for a 1 1/2 year old black lab whose owner is dying.

Great points Dave. Regarding the plug reading and different heat ranges of spark plugs. I was referring to the stock recommended plug that the manufacture says to run for that specific application, but your info is right on the money.

Thanks for the input guys!

I had maybe 2 gallons left at 50:1 in the tank, refilled with 100:1 and ran a decarbonizer through the engine. HUGE DIFFERENCE!

Thanks again guys!

Dan

Back