German Wirehaired Pointer

JeremyS

Does anyone hunt ducks with one of these dogs or maybe know of someone that does.

The breed standard claims they hunt upland and waterfowl well but have never been around one to see one do either task.

Thanks for any of your thoughts...

Twenty years ago I hunted on a lake with an old guy that had a German Wirehair. I know he used it for pheasants as well as ducks and geese. Bill would bring him over if we were having trouble finding birds in the weeds. I can't remember that dog ever not finding a bird. I rode in the boat with Bill and his dog once as well. Seemed like a good calm multi-purpose dog. Take this all with a grain of salt, as I have no retriever training experience what so ever.

Chuck

A friend breeds them,upland hunts and does some duck hunting.The breed has it going on.Course coat,web feet,good nose,and desire.Some training and ya got a hunting buddy,
no matter what you hunt.

Jeremy,I know he doesn't have any pups and can't remember if he is expecting any soon.I believe he does have young started dogs.He'll be glad to talk to you.His name is Fred Richardson ,lives just outside of Williamston SC Ph 864 847 7394

Jeremy,

german pointers may not be as apt to enter the cold water as a lab would to make a retrieve. keep that in mind. Pointers may not have the coat for the really cold water temps either. labs will hunt upland birds too. labs may not have the stamina of a pointer, but they're great upland dogs too.

Jeremy,

german pointers may not be as apt to enter the cold water as a lab would to make a retrieve. keep that in mind.
The dog in question is a German Wirehair Pointer.Different breed,different coat.We know labs are great dogs,and some of them point.:eek:)

I don't know about GWPs for ducks, but I have some first-hand experience hunting Drahthaars for ducks.

Drahthaars will break ice! All three of my dogs would break ice and just swim around, even before I started using a neoprene vest. Now, I use neoprene because there is enough research to convince me that extreme conditions shorten a dog's life.

There are some Drahts that have better than average prey drive that makes them better waterfowl dogs, but all can do the job. And, short of extremes in temperature (they don't have the body mass of the big labs) and dangerous tides or currents they can hold their own with any hunting dog.

A study at Auburn U. placed them second in nose to the bloodhound, so they really shine in thick marsh and swamps where cripples quickly are out of sight.

GWPs out of NAVHDA breedings and Drahthaars (implicitly) are tested for nose and the tracking ability that makes these dogs invaluable.

The real plus is that these dogs, properly bred are as useful in the water as the upland and serve the purpose as bird dogs on pheasant, grouse, and quail. And, their moderate size ~65# allows them to function well in the home.

Hope this debunks any wives' tales and helps your decision.

Regards,

Bob

I'LL 2ND the drahthaars, great nose and unbelievable game drive.I use mine on rivers,creeks,and marshes, but would be afraid to put him out on seaducks in the open bay.

Bob...Thanks for taking your time to write about what sounds like another great breed to put on my list.

Last edited:
have a 2 year old german wirehair I’m really happy with. I hunt waterfowl with him- he’s a great retriever - has a little bit of a problem picking up multiple kills in water with out a little help but gets the job done, although I think sending him to the right trainer would solve that. He really shines on upland birds rock solid points great retrieves on land. Since I’ve had him I have not lost a single bird. Last year hunting in North Dakota he lock up on point -I flushed a bunch of roosters took 2 shots dropped 2 birds. I picked up the closest one he retrieved the far one to hand then he takes off into this cat tail slew. I was pissed thinking he was going to bust birds, blowing the whistle yelling here! a couple minutes later he comes out with a dead rooster in his mouth that must have caught the golden BB I didn't even see it fall ! That same trip he retrieved my first and only swan. I like my wirehair he has a lot of natural ability. He loves the water. kicks ass at dock jumping, he’s good around the house. This year he got ehrlichiosis from ticks grouse hunting he was down for 3 weeks - He’s back in business and we’re heading to South Dakota next weekend for some roosters My only complaint is he’s a soft dog- I look at him crooked and it’s like I beat him or something which I don't do. I wish he was a bit more aggressive to strangers -I live in South Minneapolis and there are some unsavory characters. He's only 2 so that may come with age he’s barking more at the door. When he’s hunting he all business. I would also check out Drathhars and Poodle Pointers as well they are both not recognized by the AKC breeds which in my opinion is a good thing rather than looks their standards are judged by strict genetic performance. To bad you didn't live closer I’d be happy to take you out and shoot some birds over him.
By the way this is my first hunting dog

Growing up I had a German Shorthair ( i know not a wirehair but close). I never hunted with him, but that dog was hardwired for birds. We had 5 acres and all he did all day was go from place to place looking for them. ALL DAY... Birds was what he lived for. It didnt matter if it was a sparrow, pidgeon or dove, he wanted that sucker. It never ceased to amaze me what had been bred into him.

GWPs that are from NAVHDA lines or DDs from the German testing programs will have no problem entering water or retreiving ducks. Part of the NAVHDA Utility test requires a 10 minute blind search for a duck in water with thick weeds, lillypads or other cover. It also entails a duck retrieve that requires the dog to stay steady in a blind while the hunter (aka - you) go out of sight and fire shots. Then you return to the blind and trade shots with an unseen hunter and the dog retrieves a dead duck that is thrown in the water in front of the blind. The dog gets dinged if it moves without a command. The dog will also have to track a duck that has been dragged through the grass (over land) and bring it back to you. Not too sure what the water portion of the German test is, but the German system is typically "uber-difficult" and produces some wonderful dogs.

I had a GWP that was from NAVHDA lines and it would not hesitate to enter freezing water. I had that dog fetching ducks in water when the wind chill was -30 degrees. She would have ice hanging off of her beard, but she was anxious for me to shoot another one so she could go back in.

My point is that a well bred GWP will likely have a lot of desire and a good nose that will serve you well in duck hunting. If you get a NAVHDA dog (which I would encourage you to do), that dog will have proven whether or not it is capable of being an asset to you when duck hunting. It will also point birds and track fur for you (makes you really popular with deer hunters).

Not sure where you live, but I could put you in touch with some reputable NAVHDA GWP breeders. If they do not have pups, they would surely know who does.

Keep Safe-

Last edited:
i have a german wire hair and love him. he is a hunting machine. a couple things about them, they are stuborn, you will need to put your time into training with him. storm handles the cold water well i do use a neoprene vest on him when i gets really cold here in ohio. on upland he roams close in the woods and ranges at a medium range in the fields. he can handle geese very well on the retrieves. once he has had the experience of a bird he knows what you want. he does great on woodcock, pheasants ducks and geese, i keep trying to get him on grouse put they are hard to find around here. go to navhda ( north american versitle hunting dog association) and see were your local chapter is and see if anyone has one , then you can go see them. allways check out your breeders and you can also check the gwp rescue groups and see if you can find yourself one that way too. i paid 500.00 for mine 5 years ago and the price has increased over that time for a good quality pup.

I don't know about GWPs for ducks, but I have some first-hand experience hunting Drahthaars for ducks.

Drahthaars will break ice! All three of my dogs would break ice and just swim around, even before I started using a neoprene vest. Now, I use neoprene because there is enough research to convince me that extreme conditions shorten a dog's life.

There are some Drahts that have better than average prey drive that makes them better waterfowl dogs, but all can do the job. And, short of extremes in temperature (they don't have the body mass of the big labs) and dangerous tides or currents they can hold their own with any hunting dog.

A study at Auburn U. placed them second in nose to the bloodhound, so they really shine in thick marsh and swamps where cripples quickly are out of sight.

GWPs out of NAVHDA breedings and Drahthaars (implicitly) are tested for nose and the tracking ability that makes these dogs invaluable.

The real plus is that these dogs, properly bred are as useful in the water as the upland and serve the purpose as bird dogs on pheasant, grouse, and quail. And, their moderate size ~65# allows them to function well in the home.

Hope this debunks any wives' tales and helps your decision.

Regards,

Bob

Quoted for truth.

I will agree to most that is said here and also disagree with some. The difference is what you will find in different breeding lines or even different personality of the individual dogs. I have found that my German Wirehair Pointer isn't stubborn - but is very determined and more than his 52 lbs of dog when, as this afternoon, he had a very large thicket of rasberry bushes shaking for several minutes in chase of a pheasant. And his nose isn't the best, but it's better than I've witnessed before. Just today he had shown me at least six areas where the pheasants were earlier, just none that were currently beating their wings. Or then there are the occasions that he finds the doves, ducks, or pheasants that were crippled, killed, or hidden by others (yes hidden such as the hen mallard hidden in the brush at the boat dock that he found as a pup) which he retrieves to hand. Heck, he retrieved those before I even got a shot over him myself!

He likes the water and I can't say that has a very good trainer, but I did get him to retrieve a bumper on a blind retrieve this afternoon from the lake based only on my directing him into that line for the retrieve. I've been impressed with dogs that retrieve birds very willingly more than just finding a dead bird because there are always two ends to the birds = finding them and retrieving them which he does very willingly.

He has not been a house dog by my choice but he can be very intimidating to strangers.

I suppose if you can't have a kayak riding hunting machine of a griffon then a Drath or a GWP would be okay.. I guess
DSCF0010_3_1.JPG

Jeremy,

german pointers may not be as apt to enter the cold water as a lab would to make a retrieve. keep that in mind. Pointers may not have the coat for the really cold water temps either. labs will hunt upland birds too. labs may not have the stamina of a pointer, but they're great upland dogs too.

Agreed, I have an Alma Bottom Pointing lab and love him. No he doesn't have the stamina of a GSP but I ALWAYS tire out before my lab does. Unbelievable marking ability, handles, and hard points on grouse and pheasant and SO easy to train. Love my dog. I will get another Alma Bottom dog for sure.

btw, the debate on dog breeds is endless.

Back