getting old sucks.... rant....

tod osier

Gold Sponsor
I know the geezers already know this, but to you soon to be old guys, damn....

I spent all morning finishing some trim I had made yesterday, slapping paint on feeling like I was king stud painter and then after a couple coats I look at my work with glasses and damn - tooling marks, drips, all kinds of unsightly bullshit. I had to resand about half of it. I should have kept my glasses off and put lower watt leds in the room.

Last edited:
It wasn't too long ago I didn't wear glasses at all. I now have bifocals!! There is all kinds of 'fun' stuff I discover as the years pass by. I do appreciate things my grandfather told me a lot more now than when he told me.

Youth is wasted on the young!

Tom

I'd have a really hard time renting at this point in my life, but I see what you are saying.

Hmm I had the same thing happen to me last night. I'm putting in a bay window seat and after getting 2 coats of varnish on the seat top I notice tool marks on one of the pieces where I planed the wood on the edge of the plywood seat flush. Grrrrr. Normally I would sand everything down and make it right but in this case I'm going to let it slide. When my wife asks what happened I will have justification for adding more lights to shop which are badly needed.

Funny you guys should bring that up. Last year i finished 6 canvasbacks thought they looked pretty good and hunted them. This fall i pulled them out and found all sorts of fault with them,oh well i'll deem them 20 yard decoys and hunt them, IFFFF the river ever goes down.
Oh wait,that means i'll have to make more, guess that is the silver lining.

I did notice those photos showed a lot of gray in your beard.

I'll let you know when I get there. HAHAHA
Heck, I wouldn't care about trim any more I just hope most people see ME in low light without their glasses on...that kind of sounds wrong...

Tim

It wasn't too long ago I didn't wear glasses at all. I now have bifocals!! There is all kinds of 'fun' stuff I discover as the years pass by. I do appreciate things my grandfather told me a lot more now than when he told me.

Tom

I've had glasses a long time, but finally opted to go to bifocals this year...life is boring if you miss the details!

I did notice those photos showed a lot of gray in your beard.

I'll let you know when I get there. HAHAHA
Heck, I wouldn't care about trim any more I just hope most people see ME in low light without their glasses on...that kind of sounds wrong...

Tim

I see the gray less and less as my eyes go :).

Tom

I've had glasses a long time, but finally opted to go to bifocals this year...life is boring if you miss the details!

Bifocals - geeze. I thought it was bad enough having to buy sunglasses with a magnifier. Thanks, I feel better.

hey, hasn't anyone told you that it really does NOT matter. Hang in there until your number comes up=enjoy what time you have left. Man, that mini rant sounded like snowflake stuff.
Sweat not the minutae, fella.

Hearing aids are no longer "should get sometime..." for me. I'm following Dani's hearing thread closely....

The eyes went south fast this fall. Still functioning, but don't know how much longer my arms will be long enough to find the right focal point.....

Fixed my kitchen sink a couple years ago, got out from under and my shoulder was out of whack. 3 days later it was immobile and I was on my way in for an MRI.

....If one more Doctor says, "Well, these things happen when you get older..."!

Back