God looks out for fools and duck hunters

Shawn Linn

Friday I hunted at Corsons Inlet with an untested outboard repair, Breaking ice and wrestling long lines out of ice flows, without a single problem with the motor. I was hunting with a friend in the boat, but no other boats in the area. If I were to break down there was no one around to bail me out.

Saturday my friend in two other boats came down to hunt and we made a plan to go to a couple of locations in the same area and enjoy our final day of the season. After I set out my long line of buffies I put the boat into reverse and the most awful song you want to hear happened in my lower unit. No reverse no forward, dead in the water with an outgoing tide. Nothing to do but toss an anchor and call for help. Luckily I had two good friends in the marsh and one boat came to my aid and towed me to the bank, finished setting out the decoys and we had a great morning shoot. The as the tide returned they picked up my decoys, towed me back to the spot my other friend was hunting, and set me on the bank again so we could continue to hunt. As the wind died down we decided this was the time to get the boat back to the ramp so they once again picked up the decoys and towed my boat back to the ramp.

In the end I call this damn good luck, The motor held for Friday and died when I was surrounded by good friends who not only got me out of the marsh, but made sure that we still had a successful hunt in the company of friend.

Thanks to my friends.

definetly pays to have friends in other boats hunting,we try to hunt with two boats when we can.Glad all went well!

definetly pays to have friends in other boats hunting,we try to hunt with two boats when we can.Glad all went well!
Reason why I do not hunt sea ducks is my two boat rule; no other boats to venture out with. Never head out into big lonely waters alone is my rule. In the estuaries I can abandon ship and walk ashore, pole to the shore, etc.; but on big water so many things can go wrong, usually at the worst times and in multiples.

The main thing is you did have a backup plan. Is your boat big enough to accomodate a "kicker motor" or even an electric motor to get you out of trouble? Do you carry oars,paddle or pushpole? I hunt the Ohio river most days don't see another boat i relie on backup and a cell phone.
Glad it worked out for you.
Bill.

I do carry a push pole and paddle, but that morning the push pole would not touch and the wind pushed me into the ice so I could not paddle to the shore, bad news all around. I do have a built in marine radio in the boat and always carry at least one cell phone. Generally I never go out unless I know some one is near, but Friday I pushed it. Like I said I got lucky.

I do carry a push pole and paddle, but that morning the push pole would not touch and the wind pushed me into the ice so I could not paddle to the shore, bad news all around. I do have a built in marine radio in the boat and always carry at least one cell phone. Generally I never go out unless I know some one is near, but Friday I pushed it. Like I said I got lucky.

Shawn - Glad you were able to get back safely and also hunt the day. Big water demands respect. I just finished mounting a set or oarlocks on a TDB 14. Not sure how it will row but I am hoping to test in the weeks ahead. Since I only use an 8 HP the boat is not to heavy to row provided I have the locks in a spot where they will work and provided I get a set of oars at the right length. Having rowed a 12 ft. BBSB over 3 miles one night in the dark, I can attest that it's a valid back up and it helps to keep you warm..........for what it's worth.
sarge

Shawn, Glad you made out ok and were able to hunt and enjoy that day, having friends who are there for you is priceless!

Shawn, Glad all worked out for you. I'm going to add oars to my Broadbill in off season and a sm. kicker for Duck Wrangler. I've broke down a couple times and It's not a good feeling even if you have back up plans or buddies near by. The older ya get the more worry or think about how things can get screwed up fast.

Gene

You ought to buy those guys a case of their favorite beer Shawn.

It is a terrifying feeling to have a lifeless engine hanging on to the back of the boat.
Especially when the last little hump of land is slipping farther and farther away with the tide.

I am glad that the tide was in your favor.

Sounds like you have some goods buds there for sure. Growing up on the Mississippi river the local emergency rescue is always close. Of course you have to have the means to contact them. I've had to be towed back a few times in my life but it was never a long wait for help. When I lived in Florida I did buy the offshore tow insurance but thankfully never needed it. I was out far enough one day that I did worry a bit about fuel. Of course I never told my wife that but your imagination can get the best of you in a hurry!

Shawn-I know Corson's well and glad to hear you got out of that one in good shape. I used to hunt there quite a bit, and it's a short ride (or drift) to the ocean. Usually some shoal water right outside too. I never liked hunting near inlets for just the reason you described, the outgoing only takes you to one place and it is not where you want to be.

Shawn, Thanks for sharing your story, hope it will keep at least one of us out of trouble. I like to think that anyone who has not had some kind of experience like yours just hasn't been duck hunting long enough yet. Always need a plan "B' AND "C".

Back