Good news and more good news!

Rutgers

First and most importantly, at the tender age of just under four months old Sara "Rubber Ducky" Rutgers said her first word today. Quack Quack (Ok Two words). I couldn't be happier, and there are a lot of people that I've gotta go collect money from tomorrow. When it comes to ducks, never bet against Ol' Rutgers!

Second, a friend has had some interest in one of my decoys and asked if I was interested in a swap. I asked him what he had in mind and he said " a big heavy band saw tall as I am" and sight unseen I told him I'd do it. Today I brought him his decoy and took my first look at the saw. Looks to be from around the end of the war maybe (?) Delta Milwaukee 14 inch saw and REAL heavy. The paint is in rough shape but the saw is in good mechanical shape. I see that a rise van be added, and I saw on a tool restoration thread on a woodworker's forum that a guy got one that had a riser in it, so there must be one out there available. Looks like a lot of guys restore them. As of this morning I'd never given thought to restoring an old machine (not seriously anyhow) due to space mainly but the thought of cleaning this guy up is possessing me!

Anyhow, just wanted to share.

Congrats Paul,
So glad that "Rubber Ducky" is going to be after her Dad's own heart. Hope my Grandson's first words will be equally inspiring. I've already bought Jacob AKA "Little Bear" a rod and reel and a shotgun. Shotgun will be presented after he succeesfully completes a hunter safety course. I hope his Mom is OK with that as she is a vegetarian and Pete my son keeps guns in their house.

Anyway I am happy for you,
Harry

Man, that apple didn't fall far for the tree, hahahaha! Congrats.

Paul, I have an old 1946 14" Delta and the new riser blocks still fit perfectly. I bought the kit on Amazon for $139. The only problem I've had is the new round guide post doesn't fit the older hexagon style guide post hole on the upper arm. So, I just use the old one and keep on cutting. You'll love the old machines. Restoring one would be well worth the effort.

To Cute Paul! I told Blake and he smiled ear to ear, he thought that was pretty great!

good luck collecting, need to do some of the same this week!

My wife thought it was great when I told her.

When you ask my 5 year old what a duck sounds like she says "Quack, Quack, Bang!"

My little girl turns one this week. We had to take the boat up to the welding shop on Friday, so I gave her an old call to play with for the ride. 10 seconds is what it took her to make that thing quack. The rest of the ride was "quaaack...giggle, quaaack...giggle."

I was nervous when I found out we were having a girl...but things seem to be working out well! Ain't it fun?

No, nervous is the first prom. Lay out all your guns for cleaning when dude is to pick her up. Sharpen some knives in front of him and remember the line "I don't have any problem going back to prison when it comes to my little girl".

Paul

Those old machine restoration projects can get addictive. David is correct, the riser kits they sell today will fit ANY delta 14" bandsaw. The design has only seen small changes over the past 70 years. Is yours a wood only or a wood/metal (has a transmission for speed reduction)? Like David said the old saws used a hex shaped guide post and the newer ones use round. The round will fit the hex but it can rotate which you don't want. What you want is a piece of 7/8" hex stock 16" long. You can get it at http://www.mcmaster.com/#6512k44/=3q6wgb Post some pics for us too see.

Back