Goose decoys

Nick Zito

I could probably search this but hoping someone has a faster reply.

I have 8 higdon alpha floaters that look really nice, but god do I hate them. They are HUGE. And the heads are removable, which at first seems good because it reduces space, but the darn things ALWAYS fall off when I toss the decoys when setting a spread.

I was hoping some folks had recommendations on smaller goose decoys that still work that I could procure. I'd like to cram 1.5-2 dozen on my DW15 and not be buried in oversized plastic geese. I've debated even just getting some Brant decoys and painting them up a little. Not sure if it would work as well, but seems like larger spreads are more effective here, especially early season - and I'm mostly hunting on water as fields in CT are not easy to come by

We have some Tanglefree that look good on the water, and they are on sale right now:

https://tanglefree.com/collections/floater-goose-decoys/products/pro-series-1-piece-canada-goose-floater

You can always epoxy those heads on so they won't fall off...

Mike

Nick, not sure if they have changed in all the years, but I have my fathers G&H goose floaters which are 30+ years old. They look great to my eye, and are smaller than my Bigfoot brand by a considerable amount.

I have been slowly rebuilding my old LLBean geese. Heavy but I like the size and "old school" look!

If they,re still made same size they use to be G&H floaters were smaller than bigfoots and rode water good. Usually pricey but as any other G&H decoy they last forever.

Big Foot B2 floaters are rock solid. I did glue my heads on though! They did have an issue with coming off at times.
I have my decoys all Texas rigged. I put a 1? conduit thru eye bolts along the front of the bottom shelf on my DW. When I go to run across the lake or up River I hang them over the side hooked thru a carabiner attached to the conduit. Makes for a lot of floor room!

I am a big fan of buying American made products whenever they are available at a competitive price. G&H is an American made goose floater that is very durable. G&H goose floaters do have painted removable heads. They are not as big as the Big Foot original floaters that are also made in the USA. Big Foot B2 decoys are made in China. Goose decoys are one product where quality American made choices are still available. Shop wisely.

Nick

I use a number of different goose decoys, Big Foot , G&H, etc. But when I use my small boat I use inflatable goose decoy. And they work great and have super movement. Of course if you shoot into the decoys well them. Well that's the end of that. But trust me I have enjoyed them. Light weight and easy to carry dozens of them. They ride the water great and when inflated they stay for a long time without losing air.

Dakota decoys make a lesser Canada floater that I have been looking at for the same reason to augment my spread for our early goose season. It's far easier to set-up on open water than fight the war of getting permission to hunt the fields after October 1 when bow season starts.

Good morning, Nick~

Excuse me if I posted this already....I cannot locate it.

Homer Decoys offers a nice small Canada Goose. I carved the masters for their Brant. They made the Brant a bit over-size - which makes for a nice small Canada. So, I carved master heads for Canadas and Snows (good for Specklebellies). I also carved a "swimmer" head for Canadas, but it has yet to be produced.

I have 6 Homers. I coated them with epoxy + Homer Coat (ground walnut shells).

View attachment Homer Canada on water 01.JPG

I hunted over Herter's Model 81s (2 right rows) for many seasons - and enjoyed good success. Herter's over-size Model 92s (left row) take up too much space in most gunning boats.

View attachment Goose Rig 3- small.jpg

Happy decoy hunting!

SJS

View attachment Homer Canada on water 01.JPG

A little off topic, but if you like y boards, or what to place some on the bank, check out shiloettes. They work great, Big Al's Decoys makes brant shiloettes, I think they weigh 6 lbs a dozen. I put out 3 dozen in about 10 minutes.

John,

I actually have a set of y boards, enough to have 2.5 dozen out. I also have 5 dozen silos that are just for placing with the stakes- which are really nice when there's solid ground. Problem is the y boards can actually be a pain in the rear to haul and set up, and I feel they need some floaters to supplement them. I usually put my y boards on a long line rig, and in calm water they're awesome. I have a kayak spot where I pull them out with a jet sled and the geese home right in like a heat seeking missile- for some time. As the season goes on the seem to wisen up.

I have noticed the y boards really don't function well in tidal marshes near larger rivers as much. The boards themselves are long, and if we have any floating debris the y boards are like a net. I've had to chase them around after a large piece of wood has taken them away- moreso just the amount of surface area they have.

Hence why I asked about the floaters. I was hoping to amass a dozen or two. When the time is right the spread may be large enough to include all of them, but certainly won't be a solo hunt for that kind of day.

Last edited:
Steve,

Did you use the same colors as your tutorial for rehabbing the other Canada's on the homer? I like the size of the homer, though I'd have to find the time to paint them all!

Back