grassed jersey marsh grass finished new pics

Looks absolutely awesome...I love how high you placed the grass on the dodger...Can not wait to see how you finish the hide!

Regards,

Kristan

thanks Kristan I think it will blend in well with the high grass where I hunt. I cut a bunch of grass before I left the marsh to finish the back and sides I will work on it more tomorrow. Our season opens here in 18 days so I wanna have everything squared away by then.

Thanks mark I am really looking foward to the season opener in 3 weeks I don't think the ducks will se me.

Chris,

Looks good to me (though I'm no authority).

I'm wondering if you left it attached to the boat during a ride home on a boat trailer, and, If so, how it held up?

Yeah steve I drove it home that way I got to a top speed of about 40mph and no problems I live about 5 min from the ramp though. But I plan on taking it further but I won't go above say 55mph. Its tucked in the grass loops/rails pretty tight. I am sure I will loose some grass but I can always cut some before the hunt and after for the next hunt.

Looks good chris, Take some jute twine and just tie it to the grass loop. You'll loose some everytime you trailer but it will help lessen the refresh jobs. I keep a roll in my boat for that reason. Chris

You have done a fine job with that boat. It looks great. Good luck hunting it this season

Looks good..... Need some SJ mud on that BBSB

________________________________________________________________________________

I will get it nice and muddy when the coastal season opens on Nov 5th

You have done a fine job with that boat. It looks great. Good luck hunting it this season

________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks John. That sneakbox has come a long way. The whole process was a great learning experience. Now I just need to get into the ducks. Hope you have a good season aswell.

Chris, your boat looks good. You asked for suggestions so I have a couple. I'll just give you my experiences and you make your own decision. I would cut your grass down about 8" to 12" off the bottom thats around the dodger. One reason is when your coming across open water and the winds blowing, you'll know why then. Turn some of the grass around on the deck so it hangs over the side concealing the under side of the boat. If you pull that grass up tight it will not pull out. I used to use salt hay about 12" long on mine but where I live now there is none so I use broom straw. I pull my boat on I-95 at 70 mph and it fine, just make it tight. Have a good season...

You really think wind will effect it. I wouldn't think it would. Maybe a little but its not that thick at the top and I wouldn't think the wind would catch it that bad to really notice. If it feels bad in the wind I will cut it down for sure. The spots I hunt Have high grass that's why I kept it high. I can always change it. It really isn't that bad grassing a sneakbox. It didn't take as long as I thought. I did mine by myself so if you had help one could knock out a sneakbox in 2 hours or so. Mine has a lot of grass loops/rail slots i was out there for about 3hrs or so. I like the hanging grass over the side. I was thinking that before I will put some hanging over the side next time I go out thanks for the info guys

Last edited:
Well, Chris, I can hardly wait to see some ducks and brant sitting on the bow of that good looking boat. Good luck. There is no doubt that you are ready for the season to begin.
Al

Here is the boat with grass on the decoy racks. I didn't have enough to finish the last few slots. I think I have enough done for opening day then I can cut some grass to finish it. What do you guys think?

View attachment 005.jpg
Here is where you can see the last 2 slots i couldn't fill on the back part. I could even fill it before the hunt in about 10 min
View attachment 006.jpg
Here is my little hidding spot. I can pull the grass down a bit to break up my outline and hide me a bit.
View attachment 004.jpg

Looks good Chris. The only point I would make is that species of grass tends to break down rather quickly. I usually cut a bunch and leave it on my deck for a week or so, then discard it and cut some more. I'm sure you'll figure out the best method as you get to hunt it.

Why wait until the coastal, go hunt the south zone! I've been focusing on the north zone lately, lots of wood ducks around with the mild weather.

When I had my sneakbox I would grass the racks with onll 6 to 10 inch grass, hard to see birds comming in sometimes with the tall grass on the decoy racks. Looks good!

Yeah I was thinking I went high on the racks I will probably regrass befor the season or atleast some of it

Back