Grayling, Mi

Joe Brewer

Hi guys I was wondering who from the site is in or near Grayling? Moving there next month we sign our lease this Saturday since we couldn't find anything to buy in a short period of time. How is it living up north? I suspect it will be great but I'm sure it will be weird at first. I was almost able to do this move a couple years ago but the company I was with went out of business. Looking forward to meeting some of you thanks in advance!

My wife is from St Helen, just a bit south of Grayling. Do you own a snow blower? Think 4x4 2 stage, MORE HP! Maybe think about mounting I beams in place of your bumpers, you'll fit in with the natives and it's good insurance for that sure to happen collision with an errant deer.

Welcome to Michigan! There goes the neighborhood!

BTW You might want to keep a tight lid on that OSU stuff. Guys in Maize & Blue sheets may show up at your door one night and burn a huge M in your lawn....

Just sayin....

You will enjoy it up there....buy a sled and enjoy the snow! Snowshoes might help to....

After winter buy a few cases of bug spray....so you can enjoy the rest of the year...

Sled = snow machine, snowmobile, etc.....

Sounds like you better stay in OHIO. These guys sound friendly enough but I hear some concerning undertones. Good luck with your move.

Tom.

Don't live there, but I used to visit a lot. Heed the advice about deer. Hit my first deer there while driving the shuttle for an Au Sable canoe trip many years ago. Damn thing almost broke my arm when it whacked the side mirror and knocked it into my elbow.

Great trout fishing. Midnight Hex hatches for bruiser browns around July 4. I imagine there are plenty of hunting opportunities.

Hahahaha well I will NEVER be a wolverine fan. I can tolerate state but that's about it. I will be purchasing an old tractor with a blade and a front bucket for the snow. We were looking in indian river and gaylord but couldn't find anything plus grayling gets a little less snow. I love the ausable and Manistee rivers so I'm looking forward to the fishing. I will look into the bumper deal lol you are correct I would fit right in!!!!

It will be a long drive to Strongsville and the ODCCA show in March. Lived there years ago and had 205 inches of snow one winter I remember. Snowblower is the only way to go and plow wide at first cause it will fill in. There is plenty of things to do year around and it is a wonderful place overall. Son still lives there and would never leave. Have a great time!

Owned a cabin near Grayling for a few years and have trained at Camp Grayling for many years. What area are you looking in?

We will be living about 4 miles nnorth of town. Depending on how the boys like the school will determine if we go to gaylord or not. I've read nothing but good reviews on the crawford ausable schools so I hope it's a smooth transition

I can't speak to the school district, but Gaylord has the stores and things you'll need beyond the basics which are easily available in town. Good bakery there in Grayling. Goodales? Can't remember. Grayling is a good little town and has grown up a fair amount while still having a small town feel to it.

The wildlife and scenery is second to none. Head over to Grand Traverse bay and/or Petoskey in the summer, and check out Sleeping Bear Dunes, too. The snowmobiling and cross country skiing ought to be tremendous this winter. Lots of divers over in GT bay and also over by Alpena if you are looking for some semi-protected waters with good access.

Thanks for the input. We looked a little in Roscommon but after talking with some locals that is not where we want to be. Me and my boys are going to take up fly fishing and looking forward to the trophy smallies on skegemog, burt, and mullett. As far as traverse and the dunes, my absolute favorite place to be in the world! Glen arbor especially. We will frequent those places. And Brand, we will have to get together this summer sometime. Thanks for the In put Nick!

As long as you remain a OSU fan all will be well. Go Bucks
Tom.
First time in my life I EVER rooted for OSU;what a game! Congratulations!!

For some odd reason I am not a NicK Saban fan, not even before he skulked out of East Lansing after fibbing to MSU's AD.

Beyond Skegmog, there VERY good smallmouth fishing in both arms of Traverse Bay as well. Burt Lake is also an excellent smallmouth lake, along with walleye. As others have mentioned, Gaylord is a slightly better choice. My duck hunting partner lives in Empire. He has been looking for someone to hunt the diver flights from Frankfort up to Glen Arbor...

Pick-up cross country skiing and winter will fly by.

Last edited:
Joe,
You are wise to look into school systems and what's best for your kids.
Michigan has a "schools of choice" system, so you can pick a school district out of your district if need be. Gaylord has an excellent hunting and fishing store called Jay's Sporting Goods. Outgrew their old store and moving into an empty KMart building. They have items the Traverse city stores are deficient in. (except 22 ammo!)
I live 1:45 from Grayling, but N. Michigan does have world class trout streams. The smallmouth fishery in the Gr. Traverse Bays has also become fantastic. Unfortunately the Great lakes salmon fishery is in a precarious situation, and their could be a lot of boats for sale before long. Good luck in your move. Mark your boxes well so you can find your gear.
Louie

Headed up tomorrow hopefully Sunday we will do some sight seeing.something about that ausable river. Mr Ligman, I might have to get in touch with your buddy. I sure would love to hunt divers up and down M-22!

Any time! Enjoy it. I've never fished the smallies but I've heard the fishery up in that neck of the woods is amazing. Don't be surprised if you aren't able to get many trout to bite on the Au Sable...they are fished hard and according a couple accomplished fly fishermen I know, it takes a delicate presentation and touch.

I'm in central Texas now and would love to see ducks like I have up there!

Back