Great show today in Tuckerton. I had a quick question for the NJ guys

Bob, I was at David Clark's House the other day looking at a sneak box he is restoring. Its the same as the one in the picture. He told me it is the second one of these boats he's restored.
Phil

quote Bob Reitmeyer]Hi Steve,
I can't say as I'm familiar with the term toe rail for a sneak box. I have always thought of a thatch rail as running along the top edge of the bow and providing space under which to anchor cut grass. What I was shown was grass would be attached to the spray shield, cover the bow and be anchored under the thatch rail. As it happens, a gentlemen met me at the Ocean County show and showed me pictures of a sneakbox my great grandfather built and sold him in the 60"s. I believe he would like to sell me the boat, which is basically a time capsule. This sneakbox hasn't even been glassed. This picture shows what I consider to be thatch rails.

Regards,
Bob
[/quote]

Bob Reitmeyer said:
Hi Steve,

I can't say as I'm familiar with the term toe rail for a sneak box. I have always thought of a thatch rail as running along the top edge of the bow and providing space under which to anchor cut grass. What I was shown was grass would be attached to the spray shield, cover the bow and be anchored under the thatch rail. As it happens, a gentlemen met me at the Ocean County show and showed me pictures of a sneakbox my great grandfather built and sold him in the 60"s. I believe he would like to sell me the boat, which is basically a time capsule. This sneakbox hasn't even been glassed. This picture shows what I consider to be thatch rails.

Regards,
Bob
Here is the picture , It's been a while since I posted pictures. Its the same as the one you show in one of your above posts.

Last edited:
Little bit late to the party on this but I use green marine bungee cord with stainless steel "eye rings" tapped into my deck sealed with silicone. The way I figure it is if I need to I can add some grass from the area when I head in to hunt. I slip the grass under the bungees and tie the grass to the cord with sisal twine. Makes it easy to grass and un-grass the boat. At least that's the plan, since it's my first year hunting it. Some guys use net. It's all personal preference.

I've noticed the same about NJ BBSB's. My Higbee didn't come with rails. I've also seen a few other NJ traditional builds without as well.

Back