Great South Bay Scooter Rehab - Part 3

Steve
Thank you for this post. Your craftsmanship is evident in all the photos.

With the help of this forum my youngest son and I are going to build a Clark Craft Broadbill this summer. I only hope when I am gone he will have similar memories as you do of your Dad. What a legacy.

I was fortunate enough to learn to carve decorative decoys with my Dad who I lost 10 years ago. His drake canvasback sits on my night stand to remind me of him and the time we had together.

Again thank you.

Bruce

Steve
Followed your restoration with interest and amazement of your skill and craftmenship. Thanks for spending the time to share it.
wis boz

Guys~

Thanks for the kind words. Your thoughts kept me going today as I burned and scraped the interior - a job I'm very glad to have behind me!

All the best,

SJS

great photo journalism on that project, it kept me wanting to see more. I agree the plank shot looks fantastic and I applaud you restoring the boat to it's original form.

Steve,
Thanks so much for taking us along on this project. Really cool boat and history. I wanted to tell you after we talked I did some looking around and found a copy of The Hunters Encyclopedia it showed up a few days ago and its quite an interesting read.

Steve, I love the picture of your dad dragging his scooter across the ice. It reminds me of my first year clamming on the ice, bsck in the sixties. We were dragging sleds loaded with our tongs, saws etc, in later years we had small cars with the roofs cut off and racks for our gear. When you mentioned soft ice, I remember one day when we had a foot of ice, but temperatures in the forties. Half way thru the day, I looked over my shoulder and our little Saab ice buggy was sitting in a depression in the ice, with water half way up the hub caps. There are some recent posts of ice clamming on the woodenboat forum " Life of a clamdigger Long Island 1972" Check it out. If you have as much of the Great South Bay's water running thru your veins as I do, you will love this thread. Rich

Back