Great South Bay Scooter Rehab - Phase 4

Steve, went to look at a Corwin pow pow duck boat yesterday. In the barn are a southbay like yours and I think a Hallock. Nice to see some of the boats preseved and not thrown away. See you at the show...

Most amazing, I caught something I had not heard before. Burning the paint off? I have a Fox Sneak boat that I believe I am going to try to restore to put in the office of our new factory location and the boat must have 20 coats of peeling paint on the inside and I couldnt for the life of me figure out how I was going to get all that off. And with as much as there is present I probably would need a firehose instead of a bucket and rag for fires. LOL

But that may just be the ticket. would you care to explain how you do this? any photos would be great!

Beautiful job on the boat Steve, and a very nice way to honor your father. I've really enjoyed watching your progress on this boat.

I can't help but think that a scooter would be a blast up here during the late season on our lakes that always seem to be half frozen. Birds often congregate along the edge of the ice and open (non-frozen) boat launches to access them are often about 5 - 8 miles away. A boat that can safely cover that much open water in January usually doesn't blend in well along an ice line.

I hope that you get plenty of trips in with the Ted Sanford before you retire it to a museum!

Last edited:
Tony~

Burning off paint is simple and straightforward - but maybe a "lost art"? I will post a separate thread on this topic for others who may be interested.

BTW: I always enjoy watching your progress on your posts.

All the best,

SJS

Steve
Followed your whole presentation to the final picture on the ice--incredible job of restoring and sharing it with us. Thank you !
wis boz

The boat looks incredible, great tribute to your dad! Bet you cant wait tot get it on the water this fall.

But does it have floatation??? ;)

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Carl~

Thanks for the kind words.

Funny you should mention floatation. Of course, the white cedar hull will float awash and level if the Ted Sanford is ever full of water. However, my Dad always kept a piece of closed-cell foam up forward in the bow. Actually, it was a ~7" x 30" cylinder made for water rescue. I will either put an inflatable bag (as for canoes or kayaks) or a fitted wedge of closed-cell foam - just to account for the heavier-than-water gun, ammo, anchors. The wedge would be removable so I could maintain good air-flow off-season. Because the stool rack stows in the aft compartment, though, I cannot easily put one there too.

All the best,

SJS

Steve - What a wonderful and historic craft. Your quality and craftsmenship is impeccable. Great work and, thank you for sharing your goodness. Pat

John, Mike & Pat~

Glad you enjoy the Scooter!

I am delinquent in drawing the plans. I have taken all the measurements and detail photos but a bunch of decoys keep getting between me and the drawing table. Let's hope next week's Polar Vortex finds me with a pencil in my hand....

All the best,

SJS

Steve, really enjoying this project! At some point, could we get a good look and maybe a diagram (while your pencil is hot) of your original ice pike head? Any recommendations you would make on changing the original for design or materials? (Working on one of these is going to condemn me to a series of warm, ice-free winters, just my luck!) Best, Rufus

Rufus~

I will be picking up a Scooter Hook (pike pole) from a descendant of the Corwin who buiot the original Scooter (Bellport Bay in 1880s?) in early April. Expect a full post then - and I will measure it up!

All the best,

SJS

Really enjoyed your post and have reread it several times. Once I get this one skiff on trailer and out of the shed I would like to buy a set of the takeoffs you mentioned.

Paul~

I will be mailing out the first batch of Scooter plans later today. Just PM me with your address and I'll mail a set to you.

All the best,

SJS

Back