Great White Bird Society 2016

Joe Friday

Supporter
Hello All:

this weekend past marked the 26th annual gathering of the Great White Bird Society in the fields of Hyde County, NC. I've been attending for 19 years, and consider myself blessed to be a part of this organization of wonderful sportsmen.

Friday afternoon brought rain and wind as I departed from my Greenville NC home for the ride to Mattamuskeet. As I drove east I had time to reflect on the recent passing of my father, only a month ago. He used to come with me on these trips. He never pulled a trigger, but he enjoyed the camaraderie. He could sit in the blind all day and watch the Great White Birds fly over head, and listen in awe to their songs. I miss him terribly.

I had to stop and get a coke and Little Debbie cake here, not that I was hungry, but because I love places like this. Dad loved country stores like this one, too. I am afraid they are disappearing from our landscape:

The Store in Ponzer, NC by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Driving through Eastern NC toward Mattamuskeet and you are entering the pocosin swamps and backcreek aresas of the Graveyard of the Atlantic. Shipwrecks occur, even in the creeks around here:

Pungo Creek Wreck 2016 by Joe Friday, on Flickr

As you get close, you'll pass through the business district of Fairfield, NC. Hub of the waterfowling world in this part of NC. The grocery store sells steel shot:

Downtown Fairfield by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Finally we meet for the first meal, to say our hellos to friends not seen for a year. We catch up with each other, and renew our friendships.
Friday Evening Hello by Joe Friday, on Flickr

After a dinner of fried oysters, scallops, steak, and salad, and after a bit of libations to lubricate the vocal chords, the annual Swan Calling Contest is held in the regal Hotel Engelhard. This is the longest running and most respected world championship Swan calling contest, without exception. Contestants are judged on technique and volume. Bribes may be accepted under certain circumstances.

Richard Contestant 2016 by Joe Friday, on Flickr

The trophy:
2016-01-18_09-39-43 by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Saturday morning arrives early. The ritual of putting out the decoys is a cherished part of the hunt. The spread needs to be just right in order for the Great White Bird to make his appearance.
Setting Decoys by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Stealth and dedicated calling brings the Great White Bird from on high down to the deadly trap we set.

Overhead 2016 by Joe Friday, on Flickr

If our intentions are true and honorable, and we pay homage humbly, and if our calling is sincere, our aim true, then the deed is done.

The Final Flight 2016 by Joe Friday, on Flickr
Richard and Ricky 2016 by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Picking up the decoys is a family affair:

Picking Up the Decoys by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Dont Lose Your Head 2016 by Joe Friday, on Flickr

And the hunting is completed:

End of the Day 2016 by Joe Friday, on Flickr

And soon it is time for the mid-day feast. In Eastern NC we call it chicken & pastry:
Kevin Cooking by Joe Friday, on Flickr
Chicken and Pastry 2016 by Joe Friday, on Flickr

The afternoon may be spent napping or visiting Mattamuskeet National Wildlife Refuge. The Mattamuskeet decoy festival is being held at the local high school:
Decoy Show 2016 by Joe Friday, on Flickr

A trek to Gibbs hardware store is always in order. They have everything the waterman, hunter, and housewife needs:

Gibbs Hardware Englehard NC by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Evening time brings the formal festivities: Champagne toasts, songs,
poetry, remembrances of friends who have passed to the other side, and thanksgiving to the Great Provider:

HMW George 2016 by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Kevin and Joe 2016 by Joe Friday, on Flickr

champagne in plastic cup 2016 by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Singing a sea chanty 2016 by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Gift to George 2016 by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Sunday morning comes dreary and wet. Time for goodbyes and the ride home. The hunt is over, and the fields of Hyde seem to be asleep, waiting for Spring, now.

Empty Fields Grey Skies 2016 by Joe Friday, on Flickr

As we leave, we pause to watch the Snow Geese. We look forward to the next year.

Snow Geese 2016 by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Joe

I love it. I did my MS degree research on swans at Mattamuskett in 1982 and 83. I spent my time staying in Swanquarter. I'd love to participate in the swan calling contest but I mouth call them. I'll have to dig out some pictures of the area in the early 1980s.

Joe that was great. A friend of mine and his son were down over the weekend and they had a great time. Both were able to tag a beautiful white bird. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Hi, Joe~

Great story and photos!

As I have probably told you before, my Grandfather - Ted Sandford, Sr. - moved to the Mattamuskeet area from Islip on Great South Bay in the mid-1950s. My brother has an old post card of the Hotel Englehard. My Grandfather put 2 stars on the windows of the postcard to "...mark my room and bath on southwest corner of hotel, very comfortable."

He had hoped to continue in the seafood trade but wound up working at a variety of hostelries over the years, including River Forest Manor, The Wild Goose"N" Motel, J. C. 's Motel.

I visited once around the Christmas holidays in 1961 - plan to get back down over the next year or so since my sister is moving to Southport later this year.

Glad someone is keeping the traditions alive!

All the best,

SJS

Joe, thanks for posting that. I lived in NC for 17 years and killed several of the great white birds. Really brought back some good memories.

Ed

Hi Steve,

thanks for the kind words. Isn't it a small world? I am familiar with River Forest Manor--that place has made Belhaven famous with the boaters going up and down the intracoastal waterway. I understand they had a fabulous Sunday brunch buffet at one time.

You should definitely visit this way again, maybe in the late fall as the waterfowl begin to arrive. We enjoy driving through the refuge areas looking at the animals and such. we saw five black bears the last them our family went there.

Southport is a beautiful town. That's where Robert Ruark was born and raised. His family home is a high-end bed & breakfast, now.

Hi Brad,

1982-83--that seems like a long time ago. I'll bet Mattamuskeet and the surrounding area was really different back then. A friend and I were able to draw and hunt blinds on the lake a few times in the 90s. We got to go inside the old lodge for the safety briefing and blind assignment. And once I got to climb the obersvation tower...its closed now.

I believe they are in the process of assessing the whole building for refurbishing it. I think there is a lot of decay there.

Dr. Akers ( the man in the photo with the goose call) is the only contestant who uses any type of call...everyone else mouth-calls. Our guide/host gives everyone a short primer on calling before the contest begins. We almost always have a few newcomers there.

My Dad came and visited a few years before his death, and he actually won the contest in 2012. he was so proud of it!

I would love to see some of your old pictures!

Mattamuskeet, NC by Joe Friday, on Flickr

hey Joe
Great glimpse into a world far from mine. I would be like your dad, couldn't pull the trigger on one of those great birds.
You will think of your Dad a lot. Ones legacy is remembered. Be safe.
Ken

On eastern long island we have a huge presence of white birds. They were introduced years ago by summer residents as the beautiful bird. The NYS DEC wants to rid the area of these invasive birds. The uproar from the people was huge, more research...
They pull vegetation from the bottom roots and all. I think the bird populations have dwindled here because of lack of food. A pond I have hunted for some 55 years has lost alot of vegetation over the years. In the early years it was surrounded by farm fields, but over the years the invasive mansions have taken over part of it. I think the combo has taken it's toll on the pond.
I have never had a white bird. How do you prepare them and what do they taste like.

Joe is hunting tundra swans and the Rich the ones you have on Long Island are mute swans. Completely different species. Mute swans are not-native to North America.

Tundra swans are fine table birds, but you better be hungry.

Joe is hunting tundra swans and the Rich the ones you have on Long Island are mute swans. Completely different species. Mute swans are not-native to North America.

Tundra swans are fine table birds, but you better be hungry.

You are right, there. A swan can be shoe-leather tough. cook him low and slow if you want to roast the whole bird.

Plucking a swan is no easy chore, either. Up until last year We had access to some fine local women who plucked ours--always enjoyed visiting them in their shack behind the house. There were three ladies sitting in the shack, covered in feathers and surrounded by a small mountain of feathers. They could pluck a dozen birds in a few hours--it's dang hard to do if you aren't used to it.

I believe one of them died, and now they don't pluck birds anymore.

I have breasted the birds out in the past, too. sliced them as thin as possible and marinated them in teriyaki sauce. Then, i put them in the dehydrator overnight for swan jerky. that was always a very good
way to enjoy the meat.

I just cut my 2016 bird up today into very small cubes at lunch and pan-seared the meat. Then put it into the crock pot with a veggie mix (potato, onion, carrots, etc..) hopefully will have a hearty stew this evening when I get home.

to follow up regarding the tundra swan stew: It turned out great. I cubed the meat into 1/2 inch pieces and pan-seared them. I then put them into the crock pot on top of a veggies (tomato carrot potato onion celery), mixed in a cup of Apple Cider, a cup of H20, and 1/4 cup of A1 steak sauce, salt and pepper....cooked for 6 hours.

the meat was tender and the veggies and gravy were perfect. Just what was needed for the cold winter evening.

Tundra swan stew January 2016 by Joe Friday, on Flickr

Thanks for the photo's and story. It brought back lots of memories of when my cousin and I hunted Bob Hester's Mattamuskeet Lodge, back in the 80's. It was not long after Neal Conoley, Jr. wrote his book - WATERFOWL HERITAGE North Carolina Decoys And Gunning Lore.

We bought our hunting licenses at one of the country stores, and then we drove around and I took many photo's. Many like you have posted, and are in Conoley's book.

We had two very good days of hunting. The second day the Tundra Swans were so thick where we were hunting we could not shoot Pintails, for fear of hitting a Swan. That was a memory for sure.

Prior to our leaving and going down to hunt Cedar Island. Bob Hester asked me if I would take some petitions back with me to PA, to have folks sign and ask for a Swan Season. I gladly did so and took them to PA, Ohio, and everywhere else I hunted and went to decoy shows.

Makes me feel good that I was there "back in the day", played a small role in helping their be a Swan Season, and hence your Great White bird Society. I tip my hat to your yearly celebration.

Though I have had several Swan permits, but never in NC. I have not yet been able to touch the trigger when given the chance.

Hopefully some day I will return to Fairfield, and enjoy the sights and sounds of the Birds and the Hunt again.

I wish you well.

Back