Greenhawk neck weight mold

I appreciate the tip, I have a lot of lead and I get free propane so it would be an affordable option for me plus I pour a lot of weights and enjoy it.

This is 2 dozen for $73 with free shipping! That is a very good deal. Less than $3 each. If you can do it cheaper, I would be surprised. I am always scrounging lead and have a stockpile, but it takes hours to mold and propane to burn to make that many weights. There is a sweet spot on the lead temp and the mold temp. Go to fast and you have weak anchors, go too slow and they don't pour smooth, and you need to recast it.
Interesting! I have never ever cast lead and never plan on it. Funny story though, when I was growing up many people on the block were bass fisherman, including my pops. The family 5 houses down made their own jig heads. They were BEYOND generous and gave everyone some jig heads growing up. We thought they were awesome neighbors. It came out years later, the parents were sending the kids out on their bikes and stealing the lead counter weights off tires to make jig heads. I died laughing when I finally found out, but many on the block were very upset. I thought it was kind of ingenious but naturally a tire is much mor expensive than lead.

I do make my own soft plastics for bass fishing. I have some pretty neat colors that really do well in our local bodies of water. For the most part just black, blue, green pumpkin, roadkill, junebug, morning dawn, red bug and watermelon red are what I pour but we have a body of water where the crawfish have lots of blue changing effects and we have red clay in another lake that turns the fry a pink color. So made some custom stuff for those bodies of water and have done very well with subtle little color differences that cannot be necessarily bought off a shelf. I would think casting lead is very similar to plastisol. Too hot and its runny and doesnt set up well, and not hard enough and its not filling the form.

Back