Grumman canoe sail ? Need help.

Steve, that's a sweet little decked boat, Sweet Gherkin.
I've always rigged my boats with mid boom sheeting. Besides not having a sagging sheet overhead, it makes jibing a snap. Just grab the sheet block at the boom, and flick it over. None of that hauling sheet in and letting back out. Even my other boats, like the crab skiff and peapod have the same arrangement.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but I ran across all my old ACA drawings that I did for Canoe Sailor back in the day. Here's a pic of my rig design. Dated 20 years ago.

opt.%20ACA%20deck%20vers%20v2009%20v2012.jpg

My leeboard setup is pretty novel, though I didn't invent it. A sailing buddy named Gus Schultheiss came up with it, though the sheeting is mine. The leeboard is attached rigidly to a section of 1" od stainless pipe. The whole business pivots in a pair of plastic pillow blocks. Once the tension is set, it will stay that way forever. The mainsheet block is attached to a traveler car that slides on the pivot tube, so you can play the traveler control. You can see the traveler control lines in the photos.

lbd1.jpg

lbd2.jpg

lbd3.jpg

lbd4.jpg

Jim

Looks like you fellas have some good experiences over the years. I'm game to try it out. Taking the rig to northern Mn for a month or so . I'll see if I can teach myself.

Back