Gun rust prevention and treatment

LOL LOL LOL. im almost in tears. i hate to say it but if you sprayed wd-40 on all of those reels, your screwed. take all of your high end reels and send them to me so i can donate them to a worthy cause. or you can always through them on ebay for a great "deal". and please dont ever compare penn to shimano again, geez!
Pete...I don't reckon I invented any of that but I have used it for that.....know what it REALLY excels at? Nothing....absolutely nothing....removes slug slime like WD-40....heck its even better at that than it is at keeping guns from rusting.....

Mark...I'll go throw away the 15 or so spinning and bait casting reels that I wasn't aware that the WD-40 that I was spraying on them all these years was destroying....just to be sure how do I tell when they are trashed? Perhaps when my Coffe Grinder Penn's smooth out and run quiet like the high dollar Shimano's.....DAMMIT I knew that smooth was bad......

Between Round entertainment provided free of charge.....gentlemen, you may resume your pissing contest.....

Steve

can't troll with them anymore cause they are so smooth after years of ruining them with WD-40 any forward progress that creates a wind spins the spools and retrieves the damned line.....they're trashed I tell ya......where were you for all these years that I've been ruining then dammit?

REckon I'll just turn those Calcutta's into paperweights....cause what goods a reel that you can't hear the gears on? Shoot you gotta look at the dern things to make sure the line is coming back onto the spool....

Steve

Be careful with that WD-40 Steve. If you get it everywhere, it might cause you to slip and fall while stump dancin'. When you bump your head you might end up seeing snakes everywhere.

if I don't use the WD-40 to clean the slug slime, and the moss--(its also an excellent moss remover, plus will remove grafitti of all types placed there by wastrels and vagrants)--then the stump is too slick to dance on....

So you do have to be a little careful not to slip BUT in so doig you get all the benfits of your nekid feet absorbing the magic elixer....haven't had worms, shingles, shin splints, toe jam, foot fungus, goodungarunga, hammer toe, fumuna, or the epizooties since I started using it for the slug slime....

And not a speck of rust on that stump either......

Magic stuff for sure...

Steve

Last edited:
No rust? That must be because the stump was coated with all purpose slug slime in in a moss pattern. Also, had to to be a pine stump 'cause if it was oak you could see the obvious patent infringfement issues that would arise.

No rust? That must be because the stump was coated with all purpose slug slime in in a moss pattern. Also, had to to be a pine stump 'cause if it was oak you could see the obvious patent infringfement issues that would arise.

Any druid worth his salt has a Brown-T coated stump.

derec; try white viniger like the one used in salads. I found out that it will remove rust from cast iron skillits frying pans its worth atry cas

Just a wild idea:

a while back i tried my hand at the use of electrolosys in order to de-rust an old, completely trashed Sears something or other. there were plenty of how-to's on youtube, and i was flat-out amazed at how effective the process was. zero work, but near perfect results. i cannot speak to how to treat the cleaned result, though.

Anybody here try VCI emitters in their gun safes? Just curious if the technology is the real deal or a gimmick.
Rick

VCI's are a real technology Rick. Buy from a reputable company. I know there is one up here in White Bear Lake and the product is good but the owner is off his rocker.

The Shield Technologies gun case I referenced earlier uses VCI type of technology in one of the layers of the case. I have the first gun case ever built (prototype) and the wonders of it never fail me. I can put a gun in wet and it comes out rust free everytime. Truly amazing stuff.

Mark W

I'm going to order one of the VCI cups that's designed for an area the size of a gun safe. From what I understand, they will release the rust preventative chemicals for about two years in an enclosed area.
Rick

Anybody here try VCI emitters in their gun safes? Just curious if the technology is the real deal or a gimmick.
Rick

I used one of the Inhibitor 12ga plugs in one of mine for the last year or so, and it has worked great....especially considering the humidity and rain where I live, and the fact that this particular 'safe' is not truly sealed, and resides in an exteriaor storage space that is vented, but not on our a/c or heat systems....no rust to any of the guns in that safe. I'm thinking it's time to replace it, and I might try the new, bigger one that's rated for two years. VCI is about as foolproof as it gets for storage, but I have not truly 'tested' the solvents to see if they work better/worse than other stuff or how well they stay on the metal. I've had some and used it, and it seemed to be at least as good as other stuff, but when you are wiping down, cleaning, and storing daily, you generally aren't going to have rust issues, regardless of what you use.

I've hunted around South Louisiana's brackish (salt) marshes most of my life. My "secret" to preventing rust is to wipe the gun down with a silicone wipe before placing it in the case for the boat ride back to the launch. Then, in the back of my SUV, I use a rag with "Rig lubricant" on it to again wipe down the gun thoroughly. Rig will often also remove some pitted rust spots already on the barrel & receiver.

Just my 2 cents worht..........

I heartily agree with Doc, use RIG. I use a piece of sheep skin and work the RIG in. Easy way to wipe the gun down and prevent rust. R.Bell

Rick- I worked for a bearing manufacturer and we used vci packing bags, sheets and a vci misting system. I can attest to there effectiveness for my applications.

Back