Gus Heinrich BBSB

Plywood! all fir they didnt know what ocume was back then.

I didn't know he made a plywood boat. All the Gus Heinrich boats I've seen were cedar. Or am I crazy?

Didnt look it over real good, Im thinking the deck was white cedar the bottom was ply. Someone probably redid the bottom somewhere along the line, seen stranger things on boats than that!

If that boat has its builders plate on it, contact Tuckerton Seaport Museum, Gus built most of his boats there, in the traditonal manner. They'd probably be happy to put it in his build catalog, so that they could keep track of it....also look at the main center frame, where it comes in contact with the stem support, he usually epoxied a penny with the year it was built, right there (sail versions the penny was in the mast step)....you have a real gem, Gus was a master....happy hunting!

that boat was built by Gus Sr. not Jr.(of Tuckerton seaport fame) and Sr. made a few small plywood ones I had one years back I bought it from the original owner,his gunning buddy had an identical one... they ordered them from Gus Sr. in like 1948 maybe if I recall.

Back