Gus' resting place.

Yukon Mike

Hope he would approve.

DSCF1128.jpg

Ed, what kind of a keel, if any, would you like on this decoy?

Thanks for letting me make this for you,

Mike

That's got to be the most original and appropriate way to memorialize your hunting dog. I'm just not clever enough to think of something like that. And the deke is beautiful to boot. Hope you don't mind, I'm going to tell all my buds about this. Man .... that's classy!

Mike,

That's excellent!! I'm sure he approves. Under the circumstances I'm sure this wasn't easy or fun. I really apprieciate the effort and craftsmanship you put into it. I replied to your email about the keel but yes I would like a keel. I hope to seal it up good and Gus can come hunt once in awhile.

Good luck with the surgery.

Ed

I actually borrowed the idea from our own Dave "Shady" Larsen. I rememberd he did that for his dog Murphy and like you I thought it was an awsome idea.

Great looking deke Mike. I have an old dog on the coffe table in a swan. Iliked this concept enough so that a while back I decided that is where my ashes are going to end up, in a deke. Good stuff

Can has been gunning with us for four years now, inside a hollow cedar widgeon---What better way to remember your dog than the dekesarchopagus!! Nice job, Mike

I have thought about that for years. I lost my first dog several years ago and have looked for a Mason type box for him to no avail. I don't carve and have never gunned over a wood decoy, just plastic. Who on here can I talk to about doing a decoy for me that would serve this purpose? I would love to take him on a hunt again!

That's exactly what I decided to do several years ago. I've got 3 sons and I told them that when I was gone each of them would have a special decoy with a third of my ashes inside and they agreed to take me hunting at least once a year.

Bill Wasson

Bill, A good friend had his ashes loaded into a bunch of AAs and his daughter passes them out to his hunting buddies and we spread him all over the midwest. I am thinking that is about as good as it gets.

I sure can't take credit for the idea - Dave Larsen was the first guy I ever saw use one for a dog, but I bet lots of other guys have done it. It really is fitting isn't it?

When I get old I hope to die of a massive heart attack while outrunning a mob of jealous husbands, and I don't care what they do with the leftovers.

Mike

Back