Hanging out by the feeder

Very cool photos Al. John James Audubon would spike the feeder with wine. The hummers would pass out and fall to the ground allowing him to attach colored threads to the birds before they woke and flew off. He recaptured a few he had 'banded' later.

Hitch

Great shots Al. The shot with the swarm of hummers reminded me of a place I use to hunt a few years back that had some late blooming bushes at the edge of the marsh that always collected a swarm of hummers for a short time on their way south. Glad to hear your knee is healing up and your season is around the corner. Thanks for posting.

Hey, Rich--the kind words were appreciated. I would have really enjoyed setting up my camera equipment by that bush to get some shots of those hummers that you saw. That had to be fun to watch.
As for me knee it continues to show good progress. Yesterday I was on my hands and knees trying to pull out the roots from some Russian Sage bushes that had been established for over 8 years. I ended up using my Kawasaki Mule and a chain to get some of them. Anyway, it was a tiring day but the knee held up.
Just think, thirteen days from now I will be up getting myself ready for the first day of early teal season. Can hardly wait.
Al

Boy Al,

Those are some exceptional photos.

I bought a couple of feeders a few years back and put the sugar water in them, and we only had 1 hummer visit (which I scared away on accident.) The feeders froze up and busted over the winter.

I tried moving it to dirfferent spots in the yard, but none of them were enough to get that bird to come back.

Least we had a big gray Squirrel came and eat the corn I hung in the tree, and it was a lot of fun to watch him hang upside down and do his stunts to get at that cob.

Thank you, Todd. I am glad you liked them. Some day if you want to, try and plant some flowers that the hummers would love. Once you have their attention they are hard to get rid of. They will continue to show up year after year. By the way, that one photo of about 5 or 6 hummers in it, I was only 2 feet away from them. Be patient---it will happen!
Al

Al...don't ever quit posting! I look forward to your pictures and stories. If I ever make it out to NM, I'd love to put a face with a name!

Brad

Hi Brad,
I sure don't plan on stopping because I am having too much fun. I am just hoping that my camera continues to operate especially with the upcoming duck season just around the corner. As for the stories, I'm finding out that it is necessary to write down "quickly by the way" any thoughts that cross my mind about hunting and fishing in Alaska for instance.
If the day ever comes that you get out this way, please let us know. We would love to meet you. To make things worth while, you could always come out this way during duck season then you could be sitting in a blind with me along the Rio Grande or maybe out at the beaver pond.
Al

Brad,
Bev and I were just about to leave Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge when we saw this. (4 days ago)

IMG_9913.jpg

It is only ten miles from our home so that makes it quite convenient. Soon the entire refuge will be holding thousands of ducks, sandhill cranes, and light geese (snows and Ross'). That is an exciting time.
Al

Very cool photos Al. John James Audubon would spike the feeder with wine. The hummers would pass out and fall to the ground allowing him to attach colored threads to the birds before they woke and flew off. He recaptured a few he had 'banded' later.

Hitch

Glad you liked the pictures. I found what you had to say about Mr. Audubon very interesting. The way those little tykes go after nectar, I can just picture that one in my mind. What a great way to get one (in hand). He was such a great painter for his time and with having this type of experience only helped. Thanks for taking the time to post that, Hitch.
Al

Al, great shots as always. Did you get any water yet for your other favorite birds?

Hi Al, could you recomend a good mix of flowers for a garden for hungry hummers? I see one here once in a while& have tryed the feeder thing, but the ants always beat the hummers to it. I'd love to have a bunch of them around to watch, even if I can't do the pic. thing like you! Ehanks.
Dennis

Al, great shots as always. Did you get any water yet for your other favorite birds?

Thanks, Bob. As for water, we actually got some but it is drying up quickly. I can only hope for some more rains during the last part of our monsoon season. So far we have had about 2.5 inches of precipitation since last September 21st of 2010.
Al

This was over two weeks ago. Just a puddle left now.

IMG_7415.jpg

Hi Al, could you recomend a good mix of flowers for a garden for hungry hummers? I see one here once in a while& have tryed the feeder thing, but the ants always beat the hummers to it. I'd love to have a bunch of them around to watch, even if I can't do the pic. thing like you! Ehanks.
Dennis

Hey Dennis,
I'll PM you things to think about first. The ant problem is an easy fix. Get a jar of petroleum jelly and just dab some on the sting that holds the feeder and or wire. The ants can't get across it. The stuff works to perfection.
Al

Back