Hello

Zach Houvener

Just wanted to say hello, and check in with the members on this site whom I use to stay in contact with. its been a few years of inactivity for me, not hunting, carving, preparing for the duck season, etc...I went out with an old hunting partner a couple of weeks ago for the closing 3 weeks of the season here in WA and got hit with the bug again. A recent Bandsaw, cork order, and my dream duck boat are a few of my off season acquisitions... I'm excited to start carving again, and I will be starting a rig of black brant, after re-reading Worth's "Big December Canvasbacks".

Hope all is well, its good to be back.

Zach Houvener

Hi how are you?We never met but all I gotta say i feel we are born with the outdoors in our blood and there's no getting rid of it...Men and woman who don't hunt ,fish,camp,etc will never know what brings us back for more year after year.My moto is "you only live once" do everything you can now...So what that being said go start carving and enjoy every bit of it..Have fun and send pics..

Welcome back Zack....the lack of a Brant Season this year, (on Padilla), will go into the record as one of the most disappointing things to happen in 30 plus years of hunting Washington for me....returned to Washington for what would be my last Brant Season as a resident and then it didn't happen.....was really looking forward to it since it was Brant that were the reason that I moved to Washington in the first place......
If you're looking to add Brant carved by others to your rig contact me cause sadly there are no Brant in Florida and that rig won't be making the trip South.....
What new boat did you get?...

Steve

Hey Steve! Hope all is well with you since the last time I saw you, (which must have been over at Fred's, when Jason Russell came up for the decoy carving weekend??). Coincidentally I'm headed back over to Fred's this weekend to pick up an Estuary. I am still kicking myself for selling off the Don Warren Barnegat. I plan to build a smaller (then the estuary) bbsb later in life to complete my collection...

I was also shocked by the brant season on the north bays, I've always planned on going but never had the boat or dekes to make it happen. I'll be ready for them next season (if the count is better) but may have to head down south to target them otherwise. I'd love to talk to you about the brant dekes...maybe when my wallet isn't hurting so bad with all my recent purchases!

Did you already move?

Just because no thread is complete without pictures, and my lack of taking any for the last few years...A pic of my classic BBSB I bought from you back in 08'? I appreciate you, showing me how to put on the stern decoy racks, neat system of doing it.

Last edited:
Fred's selling the Estuary....I'm shocked...course he's old and retired now and needs his heater and oven and soft chair and fuzzy slippers to be comfortable on a duck boat so I guess it makes sense....

We're in Washington through June...after that we're gone if the house is sold and gone as soon as it is if it's not.......

I'm in Florida through the end of the month and then back in Washington.....in the lottery and come down to see me....We'll talk about the Brant decoys and the cedar Barnegat that won't be making the trip South..

Steve

Back