*HELP* decoy paint question

Chris S.

I started carving decoys and I am wanting to start the painting part. I am looking online (ebay) I see acrylic paints. How do I know if these are flat finish. I know I don't want any gloss. The one I was looking at is made by "art advantage" acrylic raw umber and burnt umber. Are acrylics all the same as far as the finish? I would guess NO but not sure. Also is there a brand of paint that is user friendly for the guy starting out. For the basic colors like white and black I was just gonna buy flat exterior house paint. For other colors like the 2 in this post RU,BU I will buy the tubes. Thank you for the help this is all new to me.

Chris,
They are defiantly not all the same some will be gloss others will be flat. When I used acrylics I was using Jansen now called Traditions. Willy at the duck blind carries then probably around 7:00 for a bottle of each color you are talking about. Hopefully George and Bob can chime in then both do gunners with Acrylics.

Italian art store is the best place to buy Golden Matte colors(grey cap) online, I think its 30-40% off web listed price. Spend $150 get free shipping. Goldens will take abuse and last a good amount of time. They even form a plastic like shell that protects balsa decoys. I have never used Jo sonya's or what every there called, some people love them, but I have read enough bad expereinces that I have stayed away.

Yeah I figured they weren't all the same I will look and see what willy has thanks.

Willy's Jansen paint without the glaze will be way flater than the black and white house paint. Many of those carried at the local art/hobby store will be much glossier. IMHO there is nothing wrong with house paint for a gunning decoys, if you keep your patterns simple, you can keep the basics on hand and be able to touch up your decoys as needed without trying to remix a bunch of artists paints.

KISS:

IMG_4802.jpg

four cans of paint from the paint counter...black, raw umber, burnt umber and creamy white

Chuck

Last edited:
Chuck I went to HD to try and find a color that would be close to raw and burnt umber. I didn't have any luck I may have been trying to hard to get a Perfect match. Plus I had the girlfriend with me and as many of you know you can shop for man stuff with the girl friend with you. I will go back another time and get the closest color I can find and call it good. I am trying to make 12 to 18 brant and and 12 to 18 buffies for this up coming season. So I still have some time.

Chris

Looking at all those paint chips will drive you nuts, even without "help." If you have a couple days, PM me your mailing address and I'll put a bit of paint on some cardstock and mail it to you Monday and you can take it in and have them put it under the matching eye.

Chuck

on the paint colors, chuck..---and it shows!!
hehehhe Now, to figure out WHERE the paint goes, that is the tricky part!

Chris, for gunning stool, DO NOT use J S!!
If you have specific questions regarding specific species, e mail me at
gwdecoys@verizon.net I have been compiling some information for folks who have color add and need some help with specific decoys.

Last edited:
If you aren't too worried about it, go to a craft store and get some paints there, usually called ceramcote or folklore or something like that. Even Walmart carries them and they are about .99 a 2 oz bottle. They are flat and work well for me. All the colors are out there and if you don't like them, they only cost a bit anyway. Good luck. House paint is great for alot of stuff though, I do use it quite a bit myself on Scoter.

Chris-I am also a new carver. Under the suggestion of a more experienced carver, I bought a set of Golden Fluid Matte Acrylics. They are very easy to work with. I also bought black and white from Home Depot but there is no comparison. Do yourself a favor and get the Goldens.

Americana acrylics are user friendly, priced right, and can usually be found locally. When I first started carving I had a local store here that carried both the Traditions and Americana. They were right next to each other in the same aisle. They stopped carrying the Traditions after awhile but then I noticed something. All the mediums that were only offered in the Traditions line were now offered in the cheaper Americana line. Since both paint lines were or are made by the same company one could assume it's all the same stuff.

Goldens and Traditions are considered artist quality paints. They have better pigments and binders. The Americana, Folkart, and Ceramacoat are considered hobby paints. Cheaper binders and pigments. All I've ever used are Traditions and Americana's. Both have held up well on my decoys. If I could get Traditions locally I would be using them. But I hate mail order and like to use what I can find locally.

Back