Help me pick out next boat

bob Petritsch

I am ready to replace my "big" boat. It is a 16 foot long, aluminum Chrystler. High sided with three thwarts and a short front deck.
It is a 1970 which I bought used about 1975. It is an old friend but it needs to be retired.
Just before the last regular duck season opened, when you can only shoot scoter, here in NC, I took the boat down to Oriental and wanted to shoot off Garbacon shoal. Well I got blown right off the river. Tired of having to be so cautious. The boat may be just over 100 pounds...I can roll it over by myself.
I am trying to decide fiberglass or aluminum. I live on a canal and have room for another boat on the bulkhead but the fishing here sucks and I usually trailer the boat to better area anyway. Also when I hunt I often trailer the boat somewhere further from home.
One restriction I have is the whole package has to be under 24 feet as I have to keep the aluminum boat in the garage....POA restrictions. I am leaning toward an 18 foot aluminum boat. Wider and heavier than the boat I have now , with a larger motor. Some of the aluminum boats I have looked at have very little decoy storage...too many boxes and front deck?
I would like a boat that I can hunt the Pamlico Sound safely.....with a weather eye. Also would be nice to launch at Beaufort and be able to go out the inlet on a good day.
With a bigger boat I might get a true layout boat and would like to be able to carry it on top. I now also have a sneak box and could tow it but my hunting partner can not tow a trailer.
Another question is how large should the motor be. Just big enough to get it on a plane or the max. Recommend for the boat.
I an 69 years old and can lift my current boat tongue with one hand and walk it back into the garage easily. New boat has to be able to be pushed around the same way. That probably rules out a fiberglass boat.
Is 18 feet too short to be able to carry a layout boat?

Happy hunting, H.P.= MAX if it at all possible. Can't help with the rest because you are hunting half a country away. Just MHO

Well... for aluminum I do like the Duckwater boats. Stable and seaworthy, but heavy. The Lund Alaskan 18' are a popular safe all around boat. For Fiberglass, I have always liked the TDB 17 SeaClass. I don't fish, but I hear some fisherman don't like the top decks.

As far as room with a layout boat, I have been with a guide in MA in TDB with a MLB Classic, the guide, myself, and 2 others. I have also had a MLB on a 1962 16' Crestliner, but I thought that was tight.

Last edited:
Bob:

I can't help with what boat is best suited for your water, but a buddy recently upgraded to a 16 foot Lund SSV with a 25 Etech.

He was replacing a 18' Alaskan with a 40 hp 4-stroke.

The 16' SSV meets your criterion that it can be handled and wheeled on the trailer by one person, but just barely. The 18' Alaskan did not.

I haven't been out in the 16 footer in snotty weather yet, but the Alaskan was quite capable. The 16 footer seems similar, but with a little less length and freeboard, it won't handle the same weather.

Both are commonly used by hunters and anglers on big lakes and protected salt water in Maine. If you want to hunt or fish the biggest lakes or the open ocean on windy days, you'd want more boat.

Your water conditions probably feature a lot more shallow water than ours do, and fishing on shallow flats isn't really an issue for us, so can't speak to how these would handle. They do NOT pole well.

By my standards both boats were more than adequately powered at well less than max HP. The 16' is rated for 40HP. Not sure about the Alaskan, as it's an older model, but I think it's rated for 80 or 90.

Note that we are not carrying a heavy load like a diver rig and a layout boat, or more than 2-3 hunters and a dog or two, and might want more power if we were.

I think if you get a trailer dolly, you will be able to move a 16' or 18' semi v boat around. But you won't be able to pick it up by hand and do it without a really good set of wheels on the tongue jack and a smooth surface.
I would look at Lund, Alumacraft, Lowe, Princecraft and as many similar other websites as you can. Don't settle for something you don't really want even if it means taking all year to find what you want. And I agree with others on HP, get as close to max as you can. Winter in the Sound is not a time to wishing for more power.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as the perfect boat. That is why I have owned so many.

However, if money were not an issue I would get a 18' Kodiak in the Od green with a power tilt and trim myself. Put on an Etech, and rock out. I had an opportunity to trade in or sell both of my boats and get one and regret not doing it every time I think of it.

Last edited:
My boat now has thwarts. I refuse to buy another boat where I have to step over thwarts all day long. I think the Lunds all have thwarts, I ordered a catalogue to make sure.
I don't think I want something that is primarily a duck boat. I fish more often than I hunt so I want a good fishing boat.
Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.......Bob

Bob, my friend's SSV has a full bow seat, but the stern and center seats are walk through. The Alaskan also had an open cockpit.

Bob,
I am writing you from South Carolna so my waters are somewhat similar to yours.

Another boat you might consider is a 15' Boston Whaler.

It is a great stable boat as you probably already know. I personally have the 13' Whaler. I fish and hunt mostly by myself and while the 15' would allow me to boat safely in rougher water, I am happy staying within the limits of my 13'.

You could easily haul a layout boat on a 15' Whaler. You may have seen that I mothership my kayak in my 13'

As you know, power trim/tilt is just about required in a tidal zone.

One thing you didn't mention about your quest is how much are you willing to spend.

When I lived in Michigan, as guys said in previous posts, the 16' and 18' Lunds are very popular as duck hunting boats.

Larry

Thanks for all of he replies. Lund does not have a dealer near here. Either does another manufacturer often mentioned. I have seen something I like and it is the G3 18 DK. All open, about the right size but it uses a tiller motor.
I am concerned about a tiller motor in the 40-50 hp range. Don't know if I could handle it.
I have a tiller now but at 8 hp it is very easy but it gives me a sore back, twisted around. The G3 has a split seat for the helm and that looks more comfortable.
Would appreciate comments re tiller steered boats and esp. About G3.

Buddy has a tiller 40 tohatsu with power tilt and trim on his boat. Loves it.

I have an 18" Lund SSV so it has thwarts, the Alaskan would be preferable I think. I have had mine for 30 years and always had a tiller - first an Evinrude and now a Yamaha (both were/are Fifties). Like the Yamaha better as the trim/tilt control is just above the throttle handle so you can easily work it with your thumb. Also, the tiller handle on the Yamaha is longer and made it more comfortable for me.

I'm 60 and comfort or lack of strength has never been an issue with operating a tiller. I much prefer the quick response of the tiller when working in and around decoys so it has always been my preference.

Good luck on your search

P.S. - I have heard good things about the G6 boats but have never owned one so I have no personal experience

Sounds like you're in "big waters" as far as safety and boat size. In Lake St. Clair, the smallest boat recommended by the Coast Guard is a 19 footer. I prefer the 22 foot StarCraft deep-V that we used.
With your limited size for storage...get the biggest boat you can and be sure your trailer has a foldable tongue or removable tongue.
Lou

I tend to agree, the Pamlico sound/ Nuece River/ outer banks is big water. I would go with a semi-v or deep-v. And I would not be afraid to look at a glass boat, especially if you are hunting deeper water. Big mod-v Jon boats are still Jon boats and you will get still pounded in a big chop.

Fishing or not... I would consider the TDB17SC in the classifieds. It will do EVERYTHING. and it is ready to go.

Back