Helping friends build boats....

LonnieKlein

Last season I built a modified Kara Hummer and I love it. It's perfect. Some of my friends and relatives seen it and now they want to build their own. I was looking for some help finding the right design for some of them.
My Father and Uncle want to build a boat but they want to be able to fit it in the bed of a truck or on the roof of a SUV. Any Suggestions? I mentioned a Robber but didn't find the Link.

http://duckboats.net.nmsrv.com/specs/marsh.html has some info on the robber.

Not to hijack your thread but could someone that has made the robber give some idea of safe max weight load for this design. The duck boat specs list the hummer at 400lbs but I am wondering what do you lose shortening the boat by 2' 5''. While we are at it what is the opinion of the robber for general marsh use?

Chris

Even though many traditional builders here poo poo it the new version of the Hybrid might fit their needs.

On the Refuge and on the DHC there are mega threads documenting the construction of dozens of boats and the various modifications to the basic design.

http://www.hybridduckboat.com/files/

If they are looking for a more traditional boat build then the Whistler from the Zack Taylor book might fit better.

Devlin's smallest boat might work as well.

If car topping they are not limited by the length only weight.

The Robber looses a lot with its cut down size. On the old DHBP forum one of the builders found that the boat wanted to squirt out from under him when loaded with the same gear as his Hummer.

Hi,

What were the modifications on your Kara Hummer? Something like the Atomic Nutria?..http://www.freewebs.com/atomicnutria/index.htm

I am thinking about building something like the atomicnutria for my son-in-law

Matt

Lonnie,
the robber was put together as it went without a written plan. The KARA plan was easily modified to a shorter, narrower boat and cockpit. It should be noted that the original KARA was only designed and intended to go in the shallow flooded corn of the midwest. It has since been used all kinds of other places but its not a big water boat. The robber even less so.
KARA as built is not light.. I can move mine around no problem following the shift one end at a time concept but friends say.... "This is heavier than my canoe". Not a cartopper. The robber could get there easily using some lighter weight materials and building ideas, but "smack it around" durability will be sacrificed. The robber is even less of an open water boat.

The West System people have a magazine that they put out that gives info on light weight epoxy building. They use a hull as a plug and then pop off a hull made only of cloth(Fiberglass,kvlar,carbonfiber) and then add just enough reinforcement to use it. Seats, flotation, and maybe a rib or two. These are light weight and can be flung up on a car but dont drag them over the rocks.

Strip built canoes are very light. Just an idea.

Matt,

Nutria Link

That builder has some nice pictures and pages, but that boat is going to weigh a ton with all the mods in the stern. No way it goes on a car.

Here is a light weight DoryCartopper, Bolger

This guy has some light weight ideas
Local Builder

This plan reminds me of the old duck skiffs but is heavier than the other ones above and is prob. close in weight to a KARA.
Bateau Honker

Or the classic Pole Boat from Sam. I think someone built one with luan and PL200 construction glue just to piss off the fancy guys and show it works.
Pole Boat

Dont even get me started on the ultra light Kayaks..

Paint any of these flat cammo color and hunt.

Bob,

I was not thinking of of car topping the Atomic Nutria version. Jared (my son-in-law) lives near a small reservoir with a small marsh area where the river flows in. There are not a lot of ducks there, a few locals and a few migrants, but it is about the only spot close to him that has any waterfowl. Sometimes in the arid West you get what you can take. We have been trying to figure out a very simple boat to get across a couple hundred yards of open water and in to the marsh area. It would have to be inexpensive in materials, simple to build, enough room for him (a big guy 300plus ) and a dog, and easy to conceal. The smaller versions of the Kara Hummer, I have a hunch, might be a tad to small for him.

Might even look around for a used canoe....but they are not the most idea hunting rig.

Have thought of a Devlin Bluebill (or similar) but then cost goes up...

matt

Matt,
the Nutria/KARA would work for what you describe if the water is not too rough. The KARA has a very good load carrying ability. I have on many occasions put a shooter in the front on a stool and polled from the back to jump shoot streams and small beaver ponds. It will carry a dog and hunter with a pile of decoys. But It is not a big water substitute for a more seaworthy hull.

Bob,

On rough water days....do not use to cross the open water....simple rule I suppose if you don't get tempted by flying birds. I measured the area with ArcView 9.3 that he has to hunt and it is only about 130 acres, give or take a fraction. It is small area.

So attached is that secret internet duckie spot.....mostly a river delta.....

View attachment colorado-2.jpg

I use mine a lot. Would use it in a spot like that if I had an electric motor. I pole long ways but that is in shallow water. If I need to go far I take my bigger boat with outboard.
Many have said it here. You cant have just one duck boat. A fleet of 5 is about a starter kit.

Bob,

Same with any boat,,,,darn things are like jack rabbits......what do you tell the wife?? "Well that one is to big, that one is to small, this one is just right,,,,,," The next month she says, "I thought you just bought/built one for hunting small water?" Yes but this is new one is for fishing small water....... and so on and so forth....She rolls her eyes and gives you the look of...Yup your eyes are brown also....LOL

Next thing you know the yard is full of boats, dogs, decoys, horses/mules, horse trailers, hay stacks, trucks, spare part junkers....more boats, scrap lumber,,,new lumber,,,,,scrap metal pile(all good for something of course),,,,the 65 cuda (the son-in-laws),,,,,,the chuckar pen for raising game birds(for dog training).....and of course the veggie plot...

Heck no wonder I have a 9 acre yard...and lucky to have the same wife for 35 years...she puts up with a lot of nonsense I think...

Matt

I'd also take a look at some of the boats on www.butlerprojects.com. I've been thinking about his Montana guide boat as having some quick-build potential. It appears light enough, and by expanding the cockpit area, you could make it roomy enough for a dog. Raising the coaming would be a good idea as would adding lots of flotation...

I had the Kara Hummer out several times this year and it worked great. Took it out on the resevoir where the river flooded many fields and used a Kayak paddle. Worked awesome. Water was at least 10ft deep and waves were under a foot high. Boat did great. Had 30 decoys, blind bag, 2 mats of Fastgrass, Gun, and myself (250#) & boat paddled Great! I even had a Wake behind the boat at a time or two. I don't know who said you couldn't paddle the hummer but they must not have tried. Boat was very stable and I would be comfortable with a little higher waves but I don't think I would ever take it out on the ocean or across the Mississippi but there isn't a lake or backwater in Iowa I would be affraid of.

It is fine for that, but add a bit of wind and a current and you have a lot more work if you are trying to paddle.

I Like my KARA a lot. I just dont want to give a first time builder the wrong impression of what it is really good at.

Glad you got out in yours. Do you have any photos of it in the field?

Back