Hen Merganser for Christmas

Geoff Vine

This merganser is hollow cedar with a brazilian cherry keel and copper eyes. I am working on a little complexity in my paint, but keeping within my overall style. The hope is that this is seen as a lttle more "painterly". Please tell me what you see.

10-RB01-2.jpg

10-RB01-4.jpg

10-RB01-3.jpg

This final shot shows the illusion of depth. There is no carved in side pockets or other relief carving here. Just paint suggesting the shape.

10-RB01-5.jpg

Have a great holiday season. I hope you find some time to carve and and paint!

Geoff,

Your paint is spectacular and you've definitely got the "depth" thing figured out. That merg looks like the real thing...in that it's moving a thousand mile per hour! Art does reflect reality:O Nice work.

I see a really cool looking decoy! I think it has kind of a softer look than your normal work, not as clean and crisp.
Not as sharp and precise, I still see some of your engineering in there but not as stark or bold, kind of like that if this make any sense to at all.

Craig

How long till the Drake is ready?

That is wonderfully painterly. It still almost looks simple because the depth and detail look so natural. I think it works great with your style. Great curves through the neck head and bill.

When's the drake going to be done. :)

Tim

Geoff Thats an awesome decoy. Beautifully carved bird and a spectacular paint job. Breath taking to say the least. Nice work.
David

Geoff,
I see a Lawn Jart going by the point at mach 1 on a left to right crossing route and then banking hard left with feet down and flaps deployed on the right side of the spread, I typ get the right. Now the question is do you take the shot? Anyone got some pineapple juice to marinade the drake in?

Very nice look to the bird.

I am working on a little complexity in my paint

That would be the understatement of the month. The clean lines and relative simplicity of the carving style contrasts beautifully with the subtle complexity of the painting and really serves to showcase your talent with a brush. The result is stunning!

Thank you for all the kind words. I have received a few emails with some comments as well. It always helps me to step back and look at a finished piece in a different light. Always think of something new for the next one. Thanks again!

Geoff,
I've admired your work for a long time and thought I would never appreciate anything more than the clean lines you seem to achieve in every bird. I was wrong!! The blending on this is incredible to say the least and it shows that even a smooth carved bird without any detail can look exquisite. Thanks for posting and great work!

What do I see??? Howzabout an oil on canvas by one of the old masters? I see organic flowing lines, I see a decoy that ought to be on a magazine cover someplace.

Damn thats a pretty bird....

John Bourbon

Geoff, Stunning work, I would love to have that on the bow of my Barnegat, Of course in a single decoy bag. Incredible is all I can say.
Gary March

Beautiful work Geoff! I love a decoy that has that kind of blending. Having learned sooo much about oil painting over the last year I can really appreciate this work..........................Outstanding!!!.................Kevin

Back