Here it is, Chili!

Al Hansen

I was going home today and decided to glass one of the low flow ditches. About a half mile down I spotted a bunch of widgeons just loafing the day away. After a long stalk I was able to come up on them and successfully take out three of them. I knew I had just winged one of them and as Chili made a beeline for the channel, I ran to the edge and quickly took my camera out of my pocket.
The drake widgeon saw Chili and dove. Chili then commence to pick up one of the other ducks and bring it to me. While she was doing that I was taking pics of the drake. This is a first for me and it was exciting to see how easily this duck swam upstream and for how long. Unbelievable but after watching it, just plain amazing.

P1160005.jpg

P1160006.jpg

P1160007.jpg

While Chili was bringing up this widgeon hen, I then started to take pics of the drake widgeon swimming under water and up stream at that. He dove when he saw my pup jumping into the water.

P1160002.jpg

He was right below me when he surfaced and it was easy to point him out to Chili.

P1160003.jpg

P1160004.jpg

I consider myself pretty lucky to be able to catch this series on the camera.

I once chased an injured mallard on foot in my waders that kept swimming underwater upriver! I could just see him in front of me, just like in your picture. He never stayed above the surface long enough for me to take a good shot.

Back