Here she is! My BBSB.

Dwight F.

Well I picked up my BBSB today. What a sweet boat! So the guy I bought it from said it was made in the 1950's. He had the hull glassed over the wood and all seems to be good and solid. There is one small spot on the rear deck edge that will need a little TLC. Any suggestions or tips on upkeep? I will post more pics later tonight after I get my boat shed cleaned out for her storage. Man I can't wait to get out in the marsh with this one. I always say when you hunt low profile forget the shotgun and bring a boat net.

View attachment BBSB.jpg

Last edited:
Dwight: I live about an hour from you, and kinda of curious about how you plan to use the BBSB. We hunt small marshes up here which we traverse in aluminum canoes. Impractical for a traditional gunning skiff.

Some friends up in Champlain use these traditional gunning boats. And I assume they might be very adaptable to some of the larger bodies of water around the Saratoga area.

Just curious because I have thought the BBSB might be very useful on the Hudson which we hunt occasionally.
Great looking skiff.
JCW

Thanks Guys. I got my boat shed cleared out enough to store this boat in under cover. James, I also hunt Champlain and this is where the boat will be used the most. I also hunt the Hudson, Saratoga Lake and Fish Creek late season. I want to get down to the Mohawk also this fall. I do have a Bankes Chesapeake that I will hunt from most of the time but when I am alone at times this boat is going to be key for a few of my spots. I have killed a lot of ducks from a canoe and they are a great way to get in and out of the shallow areas.
Here is another pic of the boat.

View attachment BBSBTransom.jpg

Great pic. Love that boat. Had many LI North Shore skiffs, and couple of South Shore boats, a scooter, a punt and a deviant duckboat, a "pumkenseed" built on the style of BBSB-not really a South Shore style skiff.

Heres a pic of the cockpit cover. Good for traveling and storage. The rear decoy racks disassemble for transport and can be stored inside with other gear. White stickers are coming off and I am painting letters/numbers with black paint. Boat came with a nice little 4hp Suzuki Outboard.

View attachment BBSBCover.jpg

Thats a very nice boat ! You'll love it. They do well on big water or small marshes.

I have a spray shield that I don't need. Its camouflage and made from denier nylon. Has one very small spot where it looks like it rubbed on something and frayed the fabric. I'd take $50 shipped. I can post a picture if you think you might be interested.

Nice boat
Looks like the previous owner hadn't used it in over 4 years according to registration sticker.
I bet you got a great deal on it?

The boat is 11' long by 52" wide. Thanks for the spray dodger advice and offer but I am going to have Steve make one for me. I don't think the previous owner used this boat much at all. I think he said he bought the boat in 1990, the year of the trailer it sits on. He owned the Bankes Boat I bought from him and that registration ran out in 2008. He never even had that boat in the water.

Last edited:
Back