Hevi-Shot for reloading

Over the past 6 months, it seems that finding Hevi-Shot in bulk has become more and more difficult. Does anyone know of a good dependable source these days? Just trying to get ready for next season by reloading now.

In advance, thanks for guidance on this...

HC

Tom,

Have you any experience with their ITX non-toxic shot?

We have very limited non-toxic ammo sales this far north of America, and I am considering ITX as well as Nice Shot products for some old school small bore guns.

Ray, Not yet but am considering trying it. The folks at BP are the best! They are dedicated to the waterfowl reloading business completely. I have used bismuth from them and Hevi just not the ITX. I hope to try some this year.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. Somewhat new to the reloading program and it has just been tough finding Hevi-Shot this year. I will look into the other shot materials as well.

Been very impressed w/ Nice Shot. Have ben using it since it came out. Out performs any other nontoxic by a large margin . Was not impressed w/ ITX in either the 16ga or the 12 and will not buy it again.

Tom, you live in MN and don't use RSI(Reloading Specialties)!!! They're just outside of Rochester. Seems they are cheaper than BPI and on all the charts I've read, they outperform BPI. Better patterns, more velocity, and less pressure.

Rich:

I have actually been interested in trying Nice Shot, in lieu of Hevi-Shot ...just could not find anyone that had used it. Your reply is encouraging. Which of the Nice Shot suppliers seems to have been the best to use?

Thanks again, HC

Harold, I have ordered direct from Nice Shot. The only other place that I'm aware of that you can get it is Precision Reloading.
I'd be careful about going on Shotgun World, another site I frequent( TS.com) has a thread going now that indicates there is a virus assocaited w/ going on that website.

http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PRE&Category_Code=NICE_SHOT

$59.99 for 2.2 pounds

Derek, Fortunatly ( un) I can just drive out to Ballistic Products and get what I want on no notice. Been buying from them so long we are on almost a first name basis. That convenence somewhat outweighs a price difference.

Is Hevi-Shot really worth it?

@ $60 for 2.2 lbs that's $2.13 for each 1.25 oz shell. That's before adding in shipping, the wad, powder and primer.

But then I still shoot the old forester slugs too. Can't justify the cost of the sabot rounds when the old shuttle cocks drop deer as well as they do.

I guess if you can afford it, it's nice to shoot the best.

Enjoy!
Scott

Scott, Just a couple points. 1.if I believe it works better I may shoot better, the mental game is very powerful. 2. If I only shoot once to kill a duck instead of 2 or 3 or??? then the cost per duck goes down. I don't know if it is worth it for everyone but it seems to work better for me. The first duck I shot with a 20 ga. Hevi load just stopped flying and breathing in the air. Very impressive. Also handloading is one of my hobbies and then cost stops being a factor. Also compared to the cost of gas to get to the hunt shells really are a small part. If anyone shoots enough to worry about the cost per, well I am just envious (sp). Am not giving anyone (you) a hard time just pointing out the facts as I see them. P.S. I shoot a muzzleloader at deer and then my shot per really drops. ;-). Good discussion, thats what keeps me coming back here several times a day. OOPs I guess I went over my couple points didn't I?

Tom, I think Derek was posting price on Nice Shot. Last I checked BP did not carry it. Last time I stopped at BP they were out of more stuff than they had in stock that I had on my to buy list so your experience has been better than mine.

Harold, Couple of other comments: Nice Shot is OK to use in old doubles, M12's M31's etc. I don't believe the Heavy Shot that is available for reloading should be used in the old timers. If you've used Kent Impact, you'll like Nice Shot even more. There is a caution on the Nice Shot website about Nice Shot running higher pressure than comparable lead loads so pay attention to that in selecting your recipes for loads. Plenty of lower pressure recipes are available.

Guys:

Thanks for all of your input. I never expected to be leaning this way, but I am going to purchase some Nice Shot as a trial. Any advise as to shot size, loading info ...etc? I plan on reloading 2-3/4 inch shells and want to keep the velocities (and therefore the 'kick'!) reasonable.

As always, I really appreciate your help. HC

I just got a really nice catalog from Precision Reloading in Mitchell,South Dakota. Nice Shot 59.99/ 2.2# Hevi 159.99/ 7# And what really caught my eye was Bismuth 156.99/ 6.6# I have been buying my bismuth from Ballistic Products but they claim to not be able to get Bismuth (my "go to" shot) for quite a while so I may order some from these guys. Hope this helps.

Harold-I never used Nice shot but am a little familiar with it. I have been using #6 Wingmaster HD for 3 years now, and I believe that the nice shot is even denser than the Remington tungsten. I think you'll find a fairly light load of 6's is going to be all you need for ducks and geese.

Back