hopes and dreams

Chris Finch

does anyone have any insider knowledge if regular 2 strokes will be for sale now that there will be some deregulation of emissions?

it would be sweet to buy a brandy new one

Don't know about deregulation but my Stihl dealer tells me "they" got the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke thing wrong. He says that 2 strokes can with new technology run as clean as 4 strokes.
Has anyone heard differently?

Remember: There is no "2 stroke ban".
There is an emissions limit/standard for outboards.
Whether a manufacturer meets that emissions standard with a 2 stroke or 4 stroke design is their choice.
If 2 stroke technology (like the Etec) meets it, and the market demands 2 strokes, manufacturers will produce them.

But I think 'normal" 2 strokes are going the way of the coal-fired power plants: relatively inefficient, "dirty", 20th century technology that is being left behind.

Overall, I don't think we will see the quite the "relaxing" of regulations that is being expounded. Some reductions, some tweaking, some streamlining, yes. But not a whole-sale reduction.

I ageee with Carl on all points. I love a trustworthy 2 stroke. My fear is that my preference of 2 stroke technology places me squarely in the minority. I've owned 4 strokes; they're mighty convenient and quiet. I also (once again we're in the minority here) prefer smaller vessels. The trend is bigger and faster. I really hope OMC continues to make 2 strokes, but (like Carl insightfully pointed out) with technology improving each year, it won't be long until 4 strokes weight-to-power ratio overtakes 2 strokes. At that time, they really will be obsolete. I just hate how the 4 strokes I've owned seemed "gutless" when I needed a little more power.

I was a fishing guide in King Salmon, AK a couple summers ago. The guides and commercial fishermen in those small, remote villages REALLY prefer 2 strokes. I know government regulations will only tighten over time, but the technology has to improve substantially before a 4 stroke weedeater or blower is light enough to handle. I have to think they'll produce what the markets demands.

This makes me wonder how Etec sales stack up against 4 stroke competition. Mercury makes really affordable 4 strokes, but Yamahas and Hondas are crazy expensive...so that makes it tough to compare "apples to apples." It'd be interesting to see how Etec's 2 stroke technology is perceived by a novice boater making a purchase. On this forum, we're all so seasoned that we (especially myself) have a skewed preference.

does anyone have any insider knowledge if regular 2 strokes will be for sale now that there will be some deregulation of emissions?

it would be sweet to buy a brandy new one

Go to the third world, have a nice weekend, buy a Yamaha 2 stroke, and bring it home in your baggage. Easy.

I dont know this to be true World wide, But one of my freinds who went abroad on vacation noticed that all boats with outboards were running with 2 strock motors, that 2 strock are still being mfg. of any Horsepower in all foreign countries, for there emissions are more laxed then in the US.

Well I do feel a whole lot better about my stash of basket case 9.9/15 omc's in the attic. Some day when I get healed up it may be time to start building perfect rebuilt motors for sale. Don't hold your breath but I do agree that it is hard to beat a small 2 stroke for what they are. If my checkbook would allow I might go for a Honda/Yamaha/ Suzuki big 4 stroke for my fishing boat but like the bumper sticker says "You can have my 2 stroke when you pry it from my cold fingers" or something like that. yuk

I know they are still made, you can buy them in Mexico. (If anyone knows someone who owns a marina in Mexico let me know lol)

They are going to decrease emissions regulations on American made vehicles which I would imagine would make it into the marine and heavy equipment market.

I'll take a 2stroke over a 4stroke for a small motor any day.

I think if you look at the specifications of todays two strokes vs four strokes the weight is about the same and in some cases the four strokes are lighter. Fuel economy is about the same with the four stroke doing better again in some. I'm thinking cost is also about the same . There all high priced. I believe Mercury is still making two strokes in it's larger motors. I know my 90hp merc. tower of power on 16ft. uses as much gas per hour as my son 5.7 liter Merc. straight inboard on 27ft. and is noisy as hell. I do have a late 60s Evenrude that was my Dads we used when I was young. A couple of years ago I had a motor guy complete going through the motor in trade for fixing his steering console on his pontoon boat that was crushed a tree. He said the motor was nice and tight. I have yet to run it.

Tom

"They are going to decrease emissions regulations on American made vehicles which I would imagine would make it into the marine and heavy equipment market. "

I wouldn't bet on it. Delay gas mileage increase goals: maybe for highway vehicles.

Wholesale decreasing emission standards: don't see it happening. Its good talk, but not realistic, IMO.

From what I've read there reducing the future average MPG from 54 to 51 because more people are currently buying trucks and SUVs over regular cars.

Tom

The car and marine engine manufacturers are never going to produce less emission friendly vehicles or motors the R & D has already been spent and passed onto the consumer. This administration could be gone in 4 years and will be gone in 8 years. Emissions technology is here to stay there will be no going back from a business prospective nor a PR prospective

Well I'm still hoping and dreaming about a brandy new 2 stroke 25 hp merc or Yamaha.

I don't know about others states but in ct if you have a farm that grosses x amount of money (I think it is quite low like 3k) you can register vehicles as farm vehicles and they have no emission requirements. So that would mean good bye to dpf, egr, and urea systems on new diesels. (Too bad my dream truck a square body chevy with a 12v Cummins or a 97 obs with a 7.3 power stroke, no emissions stuff on them) Also lower taxes!

I wonder if I were to start raising trout if I could get a farm outboard?.....

Back