How to spend $150.00

Ron Jones

So, I spend a lot of time here without posting much. I'm planning on getting serious about ducks in the Wa coastal area in 2011. I recieved $150.00 in Cabellas gift cards for xmass. Any suggestions to get me started?

Thanks
Ron

Shells. Price is only going to keep going up, so buy a case of what you like to shoot (or a partial case if it's tungsten or bismuth) now.

Might as well buy a few decoys if you don't have any of your own! If you're low on $$$, a starter pack of plastics will do fine until you get more $$$ (I have yet to put aside $$$ for something other than plastic).

Anthony

The best investment I made when starting out was buying a high quality gortex parka and a journal to record every hunt. Being wet and cold is no fun. I've written a paragraph or pages (depending on the hunt) on every outing for the last 25 plus years. It has helped me TRY to figure out the birds and is very enjoyable to read in the long off season.

Well, first I'd ask what gear have you already got?
Second, what type of hunting do you intend to do most often? In WA, you're gonna have just about every type as an option and, depending on where you're located, you might hunt puddler/dabblers, divers and seaducks all in the same day.
Will you be hunting from the shore/bank or do you have watercraft of some kind?
As suggested by Jeff R. shells are always money well spent. You'll need them most days, if not all days.

Back