How valuable is a chime in boat design?

Andrew Holley

Somewhere during the design phase of the Super Scaup, some guy that wanted to see me struggle talked me into designing in a chime, 4 inches per side. Not doing all of my homework, I am now over the legal width limit for a boat at 103 1/2. So I have two options, either leave it (which is where I am leaning) for cut the side supports down 1/2" per side, which seems like an awful lot of work. Well make that three options, if I get rid of the chime all together, I would then have enough width on the trailer to make it a double decker trailer for hauling layouts and/or scull boat on top.

Any ideas?

How far are you planning this boat. I assume you mean legal width for highway travel. If you are not pulling with a commercial and do not have to stop at a scale, then you are not likely to get measured by a police officer. I don't know what Wisconsin's policy is on vehicle inspection, I would just make sure the boat is not on the trailer if it has to have to a state inspection performed.

If it were me I'd not put chimes in, but if I were in your position, I'd install them under the front deck. Granted, the wind wouldn't get them there, but the rocking of the boat in the waves would make them chime nicely.

Tod

Back