Huge goose decoys. What am I looking at?

Chip M.

Alright gang....What am I looking at here?
Thinking it was an old LS&B but the body isn't glass it appears like formed plastic. The head is definitely plastic. Looks just like a Carrylite head only MUCH bigger.
She wanted them gone but I have no place to put them. I think they belong in a museum but that is my decoy fascination talking :)

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 52
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 52
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 52
Alright gang....What am I looking at here?
Looks to be similar to a G&H H100MC Magnum Canada Goose Decoy . Those decoys are 42 inches in length. Sound about right for what you have?
Some folks use them as a cover for a field blind, by adding viewing slots. Or they can be purchased with the slots already punched into them.
Looks like someone added 3 small slots in the one you have?

1727642675687.png

1727642748807.png

Last edited:
In the 1980's & 1990's more than one company made them in gigantic sizes. As Dave wrote large enough to hide under. My gunning partner and I bought the Snow Goose decoys. We did hide under them laying on Army Surplus rollup sleeping mats, before $$$ layout blinds. YES they do work. No, I no longer lay down to hide and hunt waterfowl. Old age and back problems ended that... Yet we still have the decoys.

my 2 cents

In the 1980's & 1990's more than one company made them in gigantic sizes. As Dave wrote large enough to hide under. My gunning partner and I bought the Snow Goose decoys. We did hide under them laying on Army Surplus rollup sleeping mats, before $$$ layout blinds. YES they do work. No, I no longer lay down to hide and hunt waterfowl. Old age and back problems ended that... Yet we still have the decoys.

my 2 cents
Oh I did my share hiding under huge Carrylite shells but these are well beyond any field decoy size. Even the Goose lounger.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.
I'm afraid the pics don't do the size justice. I hunted over both the 48" G&H and the largest Carrylites which were around 44" as i recall. These are way bigger at about 5-6' long.

Knutsons Catalog sold all sizes of field shell decoys even the size that you have. The ones we have are huge we had to lash them down on top the SUV (heads inside the SUV) for our trips out west. Got many a strange look from passing vehicles. I'm 5'10 1/2" and the decoy would cover most of me laying on the ground. Last I heard my buddy had em in his garage rafters but he may have sold them.

Find one of the old catalogs and you'll find the decoy that you have I do believe. The catalogs were made like a large newspaper so they did not last long.

Knutsons Catalog sold all sizes of field shell decoys even the size that you have. The ones we have are huge we had to lash them down on top the SUV (heads inside the SUV) for our trips out west. Got many a strange look from passing vehicles. I'm 5'10 1/2" and the decoy would cover most of me laying on the ground. Last I heard my buddy had em in his garage rafters but he may have sold them.

Find one of the old catalogs and you'll find the decoy that you have I do believe. The catalogs were made like a large newspaper so they did not last long.
Oh I remember Knutsons and would still be ordering from them if they had even close to fair shipping costs. the only place to still buy original FASTGRASS but it costs the same to ship as the product itself.

I have not gotten a Knutsons catalog in many years, did not know if they were still in business. They always specialized in products that were unique and not offered anywhere else many for only a short time like the shell decoy you have. My hunting partners and I bought many things from them in the past.

Get used to the shipping charges for all things cuz it will not get better anytime soon, if ever. Cuz if ya need/require something most of the time it's a helluva lot cheaper than you driving to go get it. This is what I tell myself (at my wife's advice) and have accepted keeping my Blood Pressure & Ire down to a acceptable level.

Back