Hunting with Steve Sanford's Refurbished Beans

John Fraser

I carried only these 5 LL Beans out to the marsh on Saturday. The smartweed and Bidens came in thick this summer and 4" of rain by Saturday morning created great conditions. The water came up 18" in 2 days! The birds liked these beautiful decoys. And Molly got a workout with mallards, wood duck, teal, and wigeon. Thanks Steve!

Love that picture of molly splitting the two mallard decoys with that greenhead in her mouth. And excellent work by Steve on the refurb

Nice blocks john...I need to find some birds this weekend for Maxx.

Do you have those coyote traps ready for some fur again this season?

Steve

Thanks. Steve really did a great job on these decoys. I had planned to hunt them from the boat, but packed them in this weekend. These 5 birds are plenty in the thick stuff. The larger size of the Beans and Steve's paint scheme on the mallards really helps them stand out. I was afraid of them beating each other in the bag, so I put each decoy in a forage sample bag or smaller FHA fur bag before placing them all in the decoy bag. Not that big a deal with just 5 blocks.

Our canine trapping season started yesterday and I'm geared up to go, but I haven't set yet. I started bow hunting this year and I hope to get one deer first. Fur prices are low and the fur quality really improves after the first few weeks. Though the downsides of starting late are weather and gun season for deer. I commute in the opposite direction now, so I've only got a couple of spots that I can trap this year. Hopefully I can do them justice.

Last edited:
Good morning, John~

Four (4!) inches of rain! I remember listening to the weather last weekend, hearing how Central NY was worried about flash floods and 4 or 5 inches of precious rain. I was/am envious - we got about 2. It made a real difference on some duck waters hereabouts but my back ponds are still just puddles.

Fabulous photographs of your decoys in great habitat. The one with the Molly+Mallard is spectacular. Thanks very much for sharing them. And, I am glad to have contributed to your wonderful hunt. Here's to many more.

All the best,

SJS

Nice post John, and great photo of your dog return trip between the decoys. And Steve's work never disappoints.
Have a great season.

Thanks all and good luck this season.

Steve: It was more like 5" by the time the rains stopped late Saturday. Hope your marshes fill up soon.

Would you like to rehab 8 more of those Beans? No hurry, would just need them by April.

Good morning, John~

8 more Beans for "carving season" re-hab sounds great. Bring 'em by whenever you are headed this way.

All the best,

SJS

Ok. Thanks. I'll give you a shout when I'm out that way.

Will also be heading down to LI next weekend and the weekend of 12/10, if you're going to be down there at all.

Back