Hurricane Milton

I'm not exactly sure where you're at in Tampa but I'm praying for weakening before impact Carl!

My wife and I were planning on attending a wedding on Longboat Key in 2 weeks. I don't want to think about what's going to happen further down the Coast.

Prayers to you all. I've got a buddy in Tampa and he's in the evacuation zone but he's gonna ride it out then be on looter patrol!

Paul, we live in South Tampa, in the center of the peninsula south of 275, north of McDill AFB. A lot of properties were flooded in Helene just a week ago.
Kevin, depending on where you buddy lives, he's taking a huge risk.
I've never heard of looting being an issue after hurricanes except New Orleans after Katrina. And that was a whole different situation.

Paul, we live in South Tampa, in the center of the peninsula south of 275, north of McDill AFB. A lot of properties were flooded in Helene just a week ago.
Kevin, depending on where you buddy lives, he's taking a huge risk.
I've never heard of looting being an issue after hurricanes except New Orleans after Katrina. And that was a whole different situation.
Yes he is but he's crazy so there's no use arguing with him. And I agree about the looting but as I said earlier, he's crazy :)

I'm not exactly sure where you're at in Tampa but I'm praying for weakening before impact Carl!

My wife and I were planning on attending a wedding on Longboat Key in 2 weeks. I don't want to think about what's going to happen further down the Coast.
I'm not so sure that Longboat will have anything habitable after this week if the models are correct.

I'm not so sure that Longboat will have anything habitable after this week if the models are correct.
I am afraid you are correct. All the barrier islands south of Tampa bay will most likely be completely over washed during this storm.

The forecast continues to be very bad for Tampa Bay area and the areas to the south. The wind field is predicted to begin expanding today, Current models show the eye making landfall over Manatee County, just south of the mouth of Tampa Bay. While this may reduce the amount of surge in Tampa Bay, extreme wind damage will still occur in St. Pete and Tampa as the the eastern and northern eyewall rakes those locations. The wind damage and storm surge in Manatee, Sarasota and northern Charlotte Counties will be catastrophic,
092734_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

The eye went in just south of Tampa Bay. We actually had a reverse storm surge. Surge south of Tampa Bay appears to have peaked at about 8-10’.
As of 4:00am today, we still have power. Our street light is still on and our Ring system is still connected to our WiFi. Front cameras show no trees down. Based on TECO outage maps, no one around us has power.
Now we wait and see when they will allow re-entry so we can see if the backside of the house is intact.

That is awesome news Carl! Folks waiting on daylight to see what kind of damage they have.

35 confirmed dead in Spanish Lakes community from tornadoes. Horrible loss of elderly folks.

Made it home today. Tampa is a mess. Our neighborhood is a mess. But we got really really lucky. Again. No real damage. Flooding from 12” of rain in 6 hours came within inches of our lowest floor. Few fence panels down and broken posts. All our papaya trees fell. Limbs, twigs and lever everywhere. But no real damage and we still have power.
We dodged the bullets for 4 straight hurricanes. Im becoming unwilling to play this game anymore.

Carl

I can only imagine the sense of relief when you saw your house fully intact and dry. Very good news and thanks for the update.

Glad all is well. We were there for Tropical Storm Bonnie. That was enough! We were inches from having our apartment flooded. I had to drive the Sunshine bridge to and from work. They shut the bridge down and I crawled I75 home that night. Almost 5 hours to get home! The people I still have contact with in St. Pete and Pinellas county have a long road ahead of them. Glad your home.

Back