Hybrid NL...Good Boat for a first timer?

Joe Novak

Hey everyone, I’m new to this forum, and after getting back into duck hunting beyond one annual trip, I’ve been looking into boats...and, after seeing some of the plans and builds, might have caught the bug. While I think my end goal would be something like a Devlin Snow Goose, I want to make sure I don’t bite off way more than I can chew, after investing heavily into something (plans, materials, time, tools.).

Looking around the web, I came across the hybrid plans...they seem simple enough and the boat would be useful both for putting around the local lakes and for hunting with my dog in smaller water. I’d be looking at the Hybrid NL With pods.

Can anyone weigh in if this is a good one to get my feet wet on? It seems like it would be a good one to learn the basics of a stitch and glue boat, but wanted some opinions. TIA.

Joe, I think it would be better to build a Devlin Boat. I am not crazy about not having any free board. Once water comes over the rub rail it is a negative on the boat and you will need more flotation foam to off set that. The other thing is with any horse power it seams it would go bow down into a chop. What is the hp rating for that boat??
I would build a smaller Devlin and then build the bigger one later. A good way to perfect the build of your ultimate goal.
Phil

Joe, I just read more about the boat. Do your self a favor and look up the USCG Back Yard Builders pamphlet and check the reg's for HP ratings and Flotation requirement. Any boat built must comply with that. In the info of the boat he says "You can foam the pods or just seal them good". Air is only good for UNDER 2 HP and they must be air tight. You might find that the space in the boat will be a lot less if built the the Reg's.
In my opinion it looks like the guy is lying in his coffin.
Phil

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The youtube videos have it look stable enough...[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blumcB0x2Is[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blumcB0x2Is&t=5s[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]He puts a 15 HP on the one. [/font]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I think that if I put a motor on it I would do a weedeater mud conversion or at the most 5HP or under. I'm not taking this on the Albemarle Sound and I don't intend to paddle for miles. I just think it would be nice on smaller backwaters that are otherwise inaccessible, and a good project before taking on something much larger that becomes overwhelming. [/font]
[/font]I will check out the USCG's handbook.

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I know the "easy button" is buying a $200 Craigslist Kayak and getting after it with a rattle can, but where's the fun in that? [/font]

Last edited:
My first boat build was a heavily modified Devlin Honker. I have since built a heavily modified Devlin Scaup andan very slightly modified BBIII. And a refurb of someone's TDB14 knock off.

If you are afraid of the size of the Snowgoose.. build a Mallard or BBIII. In reality, the size doesn't change the process. The amount of money (a little time) is really the only difference. But, you can't have too many boats....

Phil Nowack said:
My first boat build was a heavily modified Devlin Honker. I have since built a heavily modified Devlin Scaup andan very slightly modified BBIII. And a refurb of someone's TDB14 knock off.

If you are afraid of the size of the Snowgoose.. build a Mallard or BBIII. In reality, the size doesn't change the process. The amount of money (a little time) is really the only difference. But, you can't have too many boats....
That's the other part of my thought process...I like the idea of having a smaller boat for skinnier, shallow water. It would open options for me, allow me to pick hunting spots a bit more generously, etc...

The bigger boat would again do that...Allow me to hunt water that's a bit more snotty or reach spots farther than what I would want to in the layout.

And, my thinking goes that if I'm successful with the smaller boat, telling my wife I'm going to build a 16 footer is an easier sell.

I have built two Hybrid NL`s. I built them as a true stich and glue boat with marine plywood and epoxy over glass, doing so increased the weight so that a man over 225 pounds with gear is pushing it for weight. I put flowable foam in the pods and nose for floatation and I am running 3 hp Honda mud motors on them, (mini swamp runner kit). The weed wacker mud motor would be better to conserve weight. They work great in skinny water but they are not good at all in any kind of chop. Everyone that hunts with me from them loves them but my next project will be a Devlin plan and bigger. They are fun but to limited to where you can hunt for the dollar and time investment. If you do try one, don't hesitate to give me a shout if you have questions with the build.
Paul Selvidge

Joe,

I built a super-sized hybrid shown in this link:

http://www.duckboats.net/...do=post_view#p301984

Like Paul, I used marine plywood, epoxy, and stitch and glue construction. This boat weighed about 215 pounds when i initially constructed it, though it may be a bit heavier now since I've added additional elements to it.

It runs pretty well with a 2-stroke, 5 horsepower engine. I've thought about getting a second, more powerful motor for use outside of duck season, but the 5 horse is nice for hunting because it only weighs 45 pounds (which enables me to stow it under the deck when I really want to reduce the boat's profile in the marsh).

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Steve O

Last edited:
Joe- I have also built 2 Hybrid NL square nosed with pods 1 12ft 1 9ft. I wanted a wider foot print on the water so overall width is 4ft and the square nose helped out also.The pods filled with foam,deck, and under the sides.This boat has a 3 foot front deck and a 3 foot rear deck slash dry storage pod area,6 foot cockpit.I run a 7 hp aluminum yes 7 short shaft subaru motor. Im a big guy and have no problem putting gear lunch shells extras plus 4 doz. decoys in the boat. This boat will bust ice also.We get ice in iowa and mo where i hunt.I would post pictures if I new how.computer dumb.Pm me if you want and ill try to get you some photos. Jeff

I helped a buddy build the Hybrid SL for him to use to hunt sheltered waters, on or around the time this became available as online plans around 10 years ago. We built the whole boat in about 4 days with most of that time letting the epoxy cure. Actual physical build time was less than about 10 hours with two of us laboring on the boat 2 to 3 hours a night. Its a rugged little boat and at the time my buddy did not have the money to buy a better grade wood so we used AB grade wood at the local Home Depot. He was worried about the wood degrading and probably having to rebuild at a later date. because of rot or other issues. The boat is still used today with no problems. He did spend the money of glassing with 4 oz fiberglass the whole boat in and out. Whether it was correct to do or not on the paint job he did use common oil paints in flat colors from Home Depot. We had around $250 in the total build at the time. I do know the plans called for using a 3M based sealant. We opted out of this and just used a wood flour epoxy putty mix. Its a great little boat. Do not know your size but he is 5' 11" and weighs about 250 and has no problems with that design. We did extend the sides length by 8" during the build and added some support angles to the transom. The finished boat weighed a little of 60 lbs with no motor. He used a 45 lb thrust trolling motor and located the battery in the stern.

Build the boat you want that is for sure. I do have a recommendation to also look into Broadbill plans which is a Sneakbox style boat. It may help you manage larger waters and will take a 8 to 9 hp motor.

Regards and good luck with the build!

Kristan

Thanks Everyone...Appreciate the input.

It looks like it may be best to go with a Mallard/Bluebill/Broadbill

Joe Novak said:

Good choices, make sure you do some reading on those or ask. The hulls on the three are very different in size and shape. I don't have any expertise to offer, tho'.

Joe Novak said:

If it were me I would go with the Bluebill. I had one in the past and it was a very versatile boat and served me well. Just my opinion.

Back