I am going to have to start building another boat!

Dan, Any idea on hp rating and capacity of the new design??? I will be finishing up my BBIII that I started last year,as soon as it warms up a bit more........Can hardly wait!!!!

Charlie,

Here are my ideas for the boat. I want to be able to hunt 2 adults and a dog (if the other guy has a dog) or 2 adults and a kid (when nephew is old enough). I wanted it to draft less than the other designs while being more seaworthy then a jon boat. Because of the health issues I have and that my brother has, I wanted a wide and stable boat. Be able to be powered by a 25hp (Sam said for what we were thinking a 25 should be about perfect.) And since I just put the deposit on a new old stock 25 Merc 4 stroke, I hope it is the right motor!

I like the idea of hunting in a bbsb with a grassed up dodger, but since no one else I know has a one or wants one.....

So for a lack of a better description, think of a flat bottomed, super wide bbsb that two hunters can sit either side by side facing the stern or on one side facing the other side. I plan a dodger for it.

So,...what do you guys think?

Dan

Charlie,

Here are my ideas for the boat. I want to be able to hunt 2 adults and a dog (if the other guy has a dog) or 2 adults and a kid (when nephew is old enough). I wanted it to draft less than the other designs while being more seaworthy then a jon boat. Because of the health issues I have and that my brother has, I wanted a wide and stable boat. Be able to be powered by a 25hp (Sam said for what we were thinking a 25 should be about perfect.) And since I just put the deposit on a new old stock 25 Merc 4 stroke, I hope it is the right motor!

I like the idea of hunting in a bbsb with a grassed up dodger, but since no one else I know has a one or wants one.....

So for a lack of a better description, think of a flat bottomed, super wide bbsb that two hunters can sit either side by side facing the stern or on one side facing the other side. I plan a dodger for it.

So,...what do you guys think?

Dan

I don't think you can get a boat that size wide enough to shoot two guys side-by-side over the stern or bow. Would have to be the side.

Two of us have sat side by side facing the stern in my BB3. A bit tight maybe but comfortable enough so we both could shoot.

Two of us have sat side by side facing the stern in my BB3. A bit tight maybe but comfortable enough so we both could shoot.

Must be you don't have the same personal space issues I have. I'm very surprised you say that. There is no way you could do that in a snowgoose, it wouldn't be tight it would be impossible. The snowgoose opening is bigger than the BB, but the combing is so much higher you are hitting the combing at the shoulders, not the waist (so you have to fit 4 shoulders and two bodies, not just 2 arms and two bodies). So combing height is something to think about in a design.

Pete, read about your Tolman desision. I'm in the same boat. Tough to look at your month-to month statements and say, "well that woulda bought the electronics", or "oh, there goes a set of steering controls" or "damn that loss could have almost powered the boat". Realistically, I probably wouldn't have started until the end of summer anyway, I have a lot of stuff on my plate, like getting my new shop operational. Think of it this way - When the boat is done, there will be a lot of 2009 and 2010 dealer overstock motors to pick from.

Last edited:
Well, you are right in one respect Tod, I don't typically have personal space issues. I don't mind touching my hunting buddies - after all we both know that we're there to shoot ducks, not make out.

With regard the Snow Goose, I think the height of your combing is likely the main factor in not being able to sit side by side. That and according to Devlin's specs, the BB3 cockpit is actually 2" wider than the Snow Goose. Not taking away anything from the Snow Goose as I think that is a terrific and sea worthy design - I really enjoyed driving Andrew's boat when I was out in RI last December.

Yep, the Tolman is on indefinate hold right now. I can be perfectly happy with the boats I already have - if I have to. We'll see what the 3rd or 4th quarter bring before major expenses like a new boat are considered.

Has anybody reviewed the plans, or built the Devlin 21' center console? I forgot the name of it but it looks like a great fishing/tender boat. I too have personal space issues, not the touchy-feely kind, but.....the amount I take up..!!!

Well, you are right in one respect Tod, I don't typically have personal space issues. I don't mind touching my hunting buddies - after all we both know that we're there to shoot ducks, not make out.

With regard the Snow Goose, I think the height of your combing is likely the main factor in not being able to sit side by side. That and according to Devlin's specs, the BB3 cockpit is actually 2" wider than the Snow Goose. Not taking away anything from the Snow Goose as I think that is a terrific and sea worthy design - I really enjoyed driving Andrew's boat when I was out in RI last December.

Yep, the Tolman is on indefinate hold right now. I can be perfectly happy with the boats I already have - if I have to. We'll see what the 3rd or 4th quarter bring before major expenses like a new boat are considered.

I closed my cockpit in more than spec, since I thought I'd never fit two in shoulder-to-shoulder. To add to the combing height issue, if I remember right, your sheer is 2" lower than spec, which would lower your combing further and I crowned my deck more than spec and have larger than normal combings, adding height.

Has anybody reviewed the plans, or built the Devlin 21' center console? I forgot the name of it but it looks like a great fishing/tender boat. I too have personal space issues, not the touchy-feely kind, but.....the amount I take up..!!!

I'm assuming the Honker. A few have been built. My concern is building a low profile boat that is that big doesn't accomplish both goals well, the low sides make it wet and the large size makes it hard to hide anyway. I like what the guy from Phil did with his and built the topside up like a TDB. I'd consider adding a foot of height to the sheer if I would ever build another Devlin.

Why aren't you working today Charlie? Beautiful out there, think how nice the wind and rain woudl sound on the tent.

Last edited:
Tod, Although,I do love the sound of the wind and rain on a tent......more the rain then the wind.I need to wait a little longer. I need warmer temps to glass the deck. I do have a "boat tent" cleanup on schedule for tomorrow.

Now Tod, if I had my way.... Today would be the last day that the former "minister of domestic affairs" would be coming over to pack her stuff up, and actually get it out of the house! That way I could start now on smaller boat for when I will be hunting alone. I'd also buy your camper, after buying a better tow vehicle. Since I didn't win the lottery, and finding that your camper is a little too much for my Escape and I only have room for one boat at my house....

I figure that this boat build will be my hard earned therapy.

We hunted two guys laying down with the dog on the deck shooting over the motor without to much issue in my BBIII this year. We are both thin guys so that probably helped. It was tight and I beleive we had to touch each other but the birds were flying and the only safe way to anchor off in the waves was bow into the wind. My cockpit is set to about stock opening from plans.

There are times when hunting along I wish the opening was closed in more but when you get another guy and his dog in it Im glad its the way it is.

Back