I didn't know until I measured it today!!

Well after checking the size of the floor 52" X 110" I'm going to have to use at least 2 sheets of plywood! I hate having seams in the floor but it can't be helped, treated plywood is about 23.00 per sheet for 1/2". I could go with 3/4" tounge & groove plywood, to eliminate the seam but it would add a lot of weight! So I think 1/2" treated is what i'll end up using unless anyone here can come up with a better idea low cost idea??
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif

Don,

Floor for what? What's your application? kitchen floor, shop floor, how far apart are you floor joists, You mentioned treated, is this for an outdoor application?

Sounds like you're talking about cockpit flooring??? It shouldn't matter if thats the case. We all have seams in our boats, becuase they're all longer than 8'. Personally, I've recently learned that West Systems Epoxy is my friend. I'm ready to coat the entire back porch with it!

Elaborate a little, you'll be sure to get some expert feedback.

Kevin

Sorry I forgot to mention it's to replace the plywood floor in a 15ft. Starcraft that I'm converting to a duck boat. Michael your the only person who said anything about treated plywood eating up alum., are you sure because I've had some boat dealers tell me to use treated plywood?? I sure don't want to see it eat up the alum. whats in treated plywood that would do that to alum.??

Don,
Likewise, I would suggest against treated. The only purpose for treated wood is when it is in direct contact with the ground. The moisture activates the poison (read........Poison) to kill molds......dry rot (which only happens when something is wet).
Pressure treated wood is also "tortured" and doesn't act well and I personally don't like handling it......again, read "poison".
I am a firm believer in Marine Fir Plywood for that application and paint it with a quality marine paint. But then......that's just my humble opinion. ;)
Lou

Michael your the only person who said anything about treated plywood eating up alum., are you sure because I've had some boat dealers tell me to use treated plywood??

Don,

You haven't filled in your profile, (hint hint) so I don't know where you're at but, a lot of bad info will come from boat dealers and lumber yards located in "dry" states such as found away from the great lakes and coastal states(most Iowa lumber yards, good yards, don't even know what true marine plywood is). It's not that they are intentionally lying to you, they just don't know any better.

Michael and Lou are absolutley correct, do not use "treated ply" in direct contact with an aluminum boat.

The new treatment isn't as poisonous as the old stuff, but it makes up for it by being much more corrosive to metals.

i didnt know about the treated wood until i started asking questions on here the last couple of months, and these guys are awesome, always giving me plenty of help. i also bought an old starcraft, and was ready to replace the transom with pressure treated ply, but the guys here steered me in the right direction. it has to do with the metal salts used in the treating process, as various metals can react with aluminum, causing corrosion, and eating it away....its some nasty stuff.

Last edited:
Wife was looking over my shoulder and saw the title to your post and giggled. Then said "I thought this was all about boats and hunting".

Thanks,
Harry

Don,
I work for a aluminum storefront manufacture, and the direct contact of aluminum and pressure treated is very bad. It will destroy the aluminum. Don't do it!!
I would also suggest using stainless fasteners.

You might want to look at 3/4 inch exterior grade luan plywood. This plywood is lighter in weight than other plywoods. I know someone that uses it to replace the floor in larger Starcraft boats. Seal it with Pettit clear sealer. If you place the seam over a floor support, you could use biscuits and a good water proof glue to glue the joint together or use a router to make a tongue an groove joint.

Back