I like this idea (layouts)

way too dangerous for a dog

Dog is a tool, no sense having one if you are not going to use it. I love the idea.

I'm sorry T .....I didn't take your sense of humor into account. I should have know better ....totally my fault

Thanks fine, no harm done. I was a little grumpy about the whole thing, but I kicked both the dogs (twice) - and I felt better immediately.

See that one I got.....50%......I was much smarter when I was working....SMH

Just to be clear, think the dog layout would be great under the conditions folks are talking about. Not for everyone or every condition or every dog, but if that would get the dog out there a few more days a year, I'm all for it.

I agree, I would prefer to have a directly dog behind me, then, should it break on the gun's report, all I need to do is clear my gun inboard. One thing that was always drummed into me was to train to my dog's weaknesses. Denials work well to steady a retriever. Working dogs together via a walk-up line also improves steadiness.

Phil, one consistent problem I have had with those hand powered bilge pumps is the diaphragm pulling off or becoming detached/boken at the end of the pump rod-on land this is fixable, but not while bobbing around. I keep a couple of Mongo size sponges in my layout to deal with water intrusion. Toss 'em in a mesh bag with a drawstring closure loop and lash this inside the gunnel. Over time,my estimate is about a half-gallon per retrieve as the rough standard quantity of water added for an eighty-some pound dog coming in. I don't know how much water will hold in a CBR's pelage. You could also train him to not freak-out when he gets tangled in dropper lines, too.

The other thing you need to condition the dog to do is come and go from the same side of the boat if you are going with that boarding ladder configuration...hopefully the opposite side you have for your forehand gun position. I cheat and teach "go around" with an "over" hand signal as a command to indicate which set of steps I want Kane to use to walk-up onto the deck. He rides in a sling in my truck, entering on the driver's side. I leave that door open, walk him around to the passenger side door (closed) and then send him left or right to the other side of the truck with this command. Transferring the command to use in a boat becomes pretty quick and easy after use of both these dry land drills together. Initially, I'll hold up an orange bumper as the dog comes in until I see his eyes lock on it, then I walk it over to the side of the boat with the dog ladder mounted on it. Once the dog is on that side, holding it over the ladder site works fine. Sometimes, I have to bang it on the hull a couple of times with some of my hounds.

One other boat that would work well for what you intend to do with little modification would be a South Bay-low profile with ample room for a man and dog and the tow well. Some goose shells on the decking helps break-up the profile. There are times I wish I had mine still...

Back