I need some solid advice

Mike

I have a Mossberg 500 Flyway (new to me this year). I cleaned it up the other day, but couldn't get into the magazine tube to clean it out and wipe off the spring and follower. I did manage to get the wooden dowell plug with the little o-ring out thru the threaded hole that the magazine cap screws into. I sprayed it real good with Rem Oil w/Teflon and reassembled my gun. Yesterday, I hunted with it and the magazine follower got stuck up in the tube when I tried to put the 2 and 3 shells in the magazine. Now it definetily has to come apart for cleaning, but I can't figure out how to get at it. How the heck do you disassemble the mag tube on a Mossberg 500?

It's been a long time, but isn't that the one where you have to unscrew the whole mag tube from where it meets at the reciever??

Can you see threads at that point??

Kip

Thanks for the replys folks. I posted this same dilemma on a few other sites and got the same answer. The model I have has the factory camo job and I thought there were threads, and tried to unscrew it, but was scared to put too much force on the tube as not to crush it. Well, that was the whole problem. I mis-shaped it slightly on my 1st attempt the other day and didn't realize it until I got it apart. A little careful pressure with my vice and it was good as new. Not really, but it is functioning again without the follower hanging up.

for jobs like that u need to use a strap wrench,it is well a wrench that uses a canvas strap so that no damage occurs to the pipe you are turning we use them in the electrical field when installing pvc coated conduit so that the soft pvc is not damaged

I might, very gingerly polish the follower with jewelers rouge, then clean it up and oil it very lightly.

Good luck with the Mossy,
Harry

i dented the tube of a 500 last year, trying to un screw it, and just found a ratchet socket that snugly fit in the tube, and tapped it through using a ratchet extension, and that pushed the dent out.

Back