Ideas for a cockpit cover wanted

Scott O.

I am considering two types of cockpit covers for the AeroCraft project...one for travel and storage that basically just covers the hole. My considerations would be material (canvas, plywood, etc) and method of attachment.

The other cover would be a camo idea, along the lines of a ground blind. Maybe hinged doors that I could lay under then open like an SUV to situp and shoot.

Just thinking about some ideas and looking for input

View attachment boat2.jpg

View attachment boat2.jpg

Scott, what are the dimensions of the cockpit?I often pondered using a fiberglass flush mount truck bed cover and modifying it to fit.then use hasps and pins or locks,hope this helps, Brian Rippelmeyer

Thats a neat old boat. Bet you dont want to drill a bunch of extra holes in it.

A guy here in Washington posted pictures of a little marsh boat that he just laid anAvery Powerhunter inside the cockpit. Made a good looking blind.

I hunt out of a Fatboy, and just lay a sheet of fastgrass across me from the chestdown.Birds dont see that either.

P1010118.jpg

Scott,

I've posted these pics of my Broadbill before, but this setup works.

I made 2 dodgers- one grey and one camo. The cockpit cover is reversible grey/camo cordura 1000d. The camo is fastgrass zip tied to nylon netting.

DSCN1504.jpg

DSCN742.jpg

DSCN748.jpg

You could snap the dodger/blind to the lip around your combing:

snaps.jpg

Hardcover is from my BB2- have one similar for the Broadbill, but no pics right now. It is obviously a little smaller:

DSCN1518.jpg

DSCN1888.jpg

Might take a little creativity to adapt these (or perahaps come up with something totally different), but I think you will really appreciate both a hard cover and some form of cockpit cover to hid under. They really add to the utility and huntability of teh boat.

Take care!

-Bill

The cockpit measures 30" x 84" and Bill's pictures capture exactly what I have on my mind.

In fact the idea of a dodger like this hadnt been considered, but looking at your design Mr. B, with the upright tubular member and its tie-off to the stern cleat and two bungees forward...it seems like I could do that if I asked our guys at Lisa's shop to bend me a piece of round aluminum tubing to match the inner radius of the cockpit end. I wouldnt feel terrible drilling two holes at the bottom ends of that tubing to bolt thru the cockpit wall and make it possible to raise it or fold it down into a stored position.

If you look really close you will see that there is a channel around the entire circumfirence of the cockpit that could be used to hold in a drawstring arrangement or the same kind of snaps you are showing in the photo. I would like to know the original purpose of that channel when this boat was new back in the 40's. That channel isnt just an accident...so I'll keep investigating.

The hardtop I envisioned would be very similar to what you are showing and is just intended to keep the boat and its contents dry when trailering or just not in use.

Cool stuff...thanks!

A idea for a hard top cover. Two pieces, Each would side on from the end and have a clasp in the middle for locking. Each piece would be built so it would ride under the lip. You wouldn't be able to lift it up but slide it from the end toward the middle. This would make secure. You could store your hand carved decoys and four thousand dollar double barrel and not be worried about being ripped off. Don't forget you can also store your donuts there. Your hunting buddies won't be able to get to them. hee hee

I would try a canvas top that cinches around the lip. The top could have some type of soft doors for a blind. Hard doors tend to get in the way when paddling, I know from experience.

I agree with the soft cover concept --I had David Clark build me a wonderful Hummock and he has a Dodger design that I think you might like. It is based on a similar principle to the formed tubing shown in your pics and yet strong enough for road travel. For a sitting upright blind which is much higher? I use hardwood dowels found in any lumber co. I screw a cup holder style hook into the high end---some small conduit supports screwed on the inside allow me to adjust the hight, and hang fast grass on. You can adjust the height of the mats as you choose. If you only do laydown style hunting the idea posted about laying a fast grass mat across you has worked very well for me in the past. Good luck ---be a bit patient--it might take a season or two to get the design that fits your needs. Jerry

I have made a tarp cover for my Broadbill. I will try to dig up a pic. On the outside of the coaming I put a wide strip of sticky backed Velcro and the edge of the cover a sewn in strip to match. Then in the edge of the cover I sewed in a drawstring. I love it!! Keeps things in the boat on the road and rolls up to almost nothing when not in use. Good Luck

Back