Intentional shooting of Duck hunter in MN.

Mark W

I used to hunt Spring Lake but gave it, and a couple of other places, up as the crowds became too big and the hunters too callous. I've heard these types of aruguements and when younger participated in more than one. Now I leave. With old age comes wisdom I guess.

Dispute over duck hunting spot erupts in gunfire in Dakota County
MARY LYNN SMITH, Star Tribune
A tiff between duck hunters on the Mississippi River blew up Thursday, prompting one of the hunters to open fire.
No one was injured in the incident, but a spray of shotgun pellets shot from about 50 yards struck the second hunter's boat. The shooter, who had planned to be in a duck blind near Spring Lake Park Reserve on a November afternoon, instead ended up in jail on possible felony assault charges.
The Sheriff's Office was still investigating the case and will send the results to the Dakota County attorney to decide if charges will be filed. But shooting at another hunter is "aberrant" behavior and just plain wrong, according to Chris Niskanen, spokesman for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.
"There's absolutely no excuse to point a loaded weapon at someone or their boat," he said. "It's extremely dangerous."
With late fall mallards winging their way through Minnesota and Canada geese congregating on the river, Spring Lake Park tends to be a popular spot for waterfowl hunters. And on Thursday, with the close of the season looming on Sunday, hunters were out in full force. "There were a lot of boats on the water," said Dakota County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Tim Leslie said.
But getting a hunting spot is a matter of first come, first served.
"It's like going to church and someone has your pew," Leslie said. "Just like church, if you don't get there first, then someone can take your spot even though you sit there every Sunday."
But unlike churchgoing parishioners who merely move to another pew, the hunters reportedly got into a heated argument over the same spot along one of the river's islands upstream from Hastings. The group of four hunters on shore reportedly were irate with the hunters in the boat who were setting out decoys. "One of them got so involved and angered that he chose to fire his weapon at this boat, striking the side of boat with pellets," Leslie said.
But like most heated disputes, investigators got different stories from the two hunting parties. The hunter who was arrested told investigators that "it was an inadvertent shot at a duck" that ended up hitting the boat, Leslie said.
A battle over a duck blind that would prompt one hunter to shoot at another is "very unusual and very atypical," Niskanen said.
"These are public waters, so there is no 'his spot' or 'your spot,'" he said. "It's first come, first served. This kind of behavior ... is not the way waterfowl hunters interact with each other. And it's very disappointing.
"When you take a hunter's safety class or are taught by your mentors -- your fathers, your grandfathers -- they always tell you, keep a cool head," Niskanen said. "This is absolutely the wrong approach to take with your fellow hunter."
Mary Lynn Smith • 612-673-4788

Last edited:
WOW...unfreaking believable!!!!

Never in my life have I ever been mad enough to even think of using a firearm to settle a dispute. I don't even care what brought it on. I hope they throw the book at the shooter! Totally senseless!!!

This right on top of an executtion style shooting by an older guy on two teenagers who broke into his house. I can hear the anti gun message getting louder in MN.

And Ed, the "shooter" was just shooting at a passing duck. Don't you believe him?

Mark W

Last edited:
Yeah MN has had a couple real winners in the news lately. That execution one is creepy. I'm all for protecting yourself but when he could think about it and shoot someone in the head who was wounded and no longer a threat that man has no soul.

That hunter is an idiot and I hope he does get a felony so he can't hunt with a gun again... but I bet they plea down.

Tim

Sounds like deer hunters tried to go duck hunting. I like first come first serve i very rarely hunt blinds or easy places and am set up an hour before i hear another boat. We dont have blind draws or anything like that in CT. But it pisses me off when people come and try to set up where i am or they dont give appropriate space 20 minutes before shooting time. I can only imagine how the market hunters dealt with people moving in on your spot.

The break in story hits another nerve there is a large number of unsolved break ins in my town. The police seem not to care and havent done any thing. We dont have the castle law here. If some one breaks into my house armed or not and im home they are getting shot or beat with a baseball bat. Period. I not going to wait to see if they pull a gun out. This is just one of the reasons i am leaving CT. I think Wyoming has a "make my day" law, and i think Arizona allows you to carry without a permit. In CT the burglar is the victim.

Once again, I am VERY glad I live in a state with a ton of water and very few people.

Very glad.

Shoot, the two most crowded spots I hunt are ones where on a busy Saturday I might have to go my second choice spot instead of my first.

The breakin story is a bad one but the media portrayed the two kids as model children even the pictures in the paper made you think they were model students but just like the Treyvor Martin case once the truth comes out the story goes away. I am to the point of only needing the newspaper to wipe my ---. Be very careful people the anti gunners are out there still. Oh yeah, I also hope the shooter in the hunting case gets a felony assult and locked away.

Last edited:
sounds like the good portion of DUCKSHOOTERS we have around here. Terrible no manners bunch of jerks. Around us it sure seems that the Duck Hunters are most territorial bunch of JACKWAGONS there are. Think they own the river it really makes a guy not want to hunt weekends!

Thats truly a shame that people have to act like that. I have seen some pretty bad manners over the years and I always wondered if getting into an argument with people like this is really what I want to do. It doesn't make much sense to piss these people off and get shot at or get back to the boat ramp and find your tires cut on the truck or trailer...or both. For what? A spot that might not even offer a shot on a bluebird day? I go out to relax and enjoy my hunt, hunt start a war. I don't waste my time with it. If I have a registered blind site and someone is setting up on it, I will politely explain to them that they do not have the right to be there. If they turn into jerks, I will leave. I will call the warden and turn them in. Period! I might lose a morning of hunting, but hopefully a fine or two might change their tune the next time.

dc

i believe every word of it.. eastern nc is the same way. Ive been that mad at ignorant people here but thankfully i havent shot at them!

Back