Interesting Duck Boat Build

Rich,
thanks for the cool pictures of the build and the explanation on the layup of foam core and skins.

Mark W:

I didn't view your comment as critical. No matter what we use there is always something newer, greater, later, etc. If I was building this boat for someone else with a nice fat wallet I would use the best of the best. We had built a big hardtop for a Hatteras motor yacht recently and used this Okoosa board for all hard mounting points. Divinycell for the rest. Guess where the leftover piece went? You guessed it - my transom!

Actually comments like yours are good. That's how people in the boat trade learn! Thanks!

They've moved the IBEX show (our trade show and source of information on all these cool materials) to Kentucky from Florida. Too bad for us, great for you guys up north.

I have a buddy who is a consulting engineer on boat builds that he is not allowwed to talk about. ("Black Hole projects") The high-density core cell failed under much higher loads than even the Penske board. With the fibers in this kind of foam you would think the opposite. But your tax dollars at work proved the core cell stronger. Like I said on the the other site, if I wasn't given this foam, plywood & epoxy would have been just fine for my boat. Guess what that big white 72' sportfish was built of?? You guessed right again - plywood & epoxy!!

Rich,
I take it that means you wont be at IBEX? We are sending a few guys this year but are a bit worried about them getting into the bourbon!

Rich (and Mark and everyone in this thread) - thanks for showing this to us - I found it quite informative and you did a great job on that boat!

Mark W:
"They've moved the IBEX show (our trade show and source of information on all these cool materials) to Kentucky from Florida. Too bad for us, great for you guys up north."
I have been to many IBEX shows over the years, even made it to the very first one. Maybe even been to your place at one time or another. I've been to many of the custom yacht builders all around the country and have seen some very nice craftmanship. I started a program to make boats quieter and has some good success with it. We used quite a bit of our technology and combined it with technology from others to really knowck the sound out of the baots. Kicked butt on many of the experts in the field. I can't recall the specifics but I think it was close to 20 dB out of a Sea Ray 34'er. Even made it so the "assometer" couldn' feel the generator, nor motors running at idle. That was one fun program - too bad it dodn't work out. Mark W

Rob G: Thanks! It's a bone stock 24 hp Beavertail. The whole story is on United Waterfowlers Forum, click on "Boats, Blinds, Etc.". Even Bear liked it!

Back