iPad GPS

t hanley

Greetings,
Does anyone here us an iPad with navionoics charts in their boats. I spent a week up Maine and my daughter had one set up and I found it served us well. Looking for other opinions before I buy one.
Thanks,
Tom

I have the app on my phone and use it all the time. I find it pretty accurate. I only use it on inland wares and mainly to find my way in the dark or recently to find new duck hunting spots. I use it in the winter to find my ice fishing marked spots and it is as accurate as my buddies hand held gps units. Pretty accurate on k owing depths as well.

Don't know what it costs these days but I think I got it for $10 back in the day

No iPad eperiency but I find the built in Maps app with aerial imagery on my iPhone almost if not more useful than my handheld GPS on may occasions.

I still use my handheld to run narrow unmarked channels.

I use OnX Hunt for waypoint setting navigation. Great for general guidance and getting into the spot, plus offers map "layers" with good information on privaye/public boundaries with olst information. We have a lot of public land in MN, has proven useful in pre-scouting both duck and deer, and finding my way back in the dark the next day.

Rob, before you got the OnX Hunt program, did you look at the Garmin GPS map chip that you could buy that also offers the public/private info as well as various map layers? If you did, what made you choose OnX? How do you like it?

Dani

Dani, should have mentioned I'm using my phone, a Motorola Droid Turbo.

My comparison was more to Google Earth than the chips. Cost and convenience. My phone is with me regardless and fits in my zipper breast pocket.

I have rigged a rechargeable battery box to make a portable GPS/Depthfinder. Garmin has a unit that sells on Amazon for around $100.

I'm not generally working on precision and typically prefer to keep things "untechnical", I used to be more gadget oriented, as I've gotten older I've transitioned to efficiency.

I've praised an app for my Iphone called GAIA GPS in the past. I used to always caution that GAIA GPS did not have access to NOAA charts, but they now have that function. Now my only beef with the package is that is eats battery life someting awful. I'm good for a couple of hours in the field, but if I need more than that, I will kill the battery.

It was $20 when I installed it. The chart quality is excellent--matches up 100% with the version available for my Delorme GPS.

Jeff...

We need to fish- and I need a tutorial on the Iphone, as I have been dragged into the modern age...and a GPS in the dark could help avoid rocks in the Sheepscott.

Hutch

Chris Hutchins said:
Jeff...

We need to fish- and I need a tutorial on the Iphone, as I have been dragged into the modern age...and a GPS in the dark could help avoid rocks in the Sheepscott.

Hutch

Just as a reminder and FYI, DO NOT RELY specifically on the GPS mapping systems in the dark. It is a good idea to show potential items coming up, but the GPS mapping may not be 100% accurate, especially coming from a cell phone. Safe boating speeds, spotlights, etc are still needed for the dark. Many people have been injured or killed because they assumed the GPS mapping system was fail proof. How many times have you used your phone for driving directions and it not be accurate? I have nothing against them, just a word to the wise to remember to be safe. Just heard yesterday from a local gentleman that was doing a mapping system of a local lake map and avoided disastrous running a ground because he lost his hat while running the lake at night and happen to slow down to retrieve it and saw he was seconds away from grounding. Also GPS Mapping Systems do not show floating objects such as boats, etc.

Chris Hutchins said:
Jeff...

Hutch

Dang, Hutch, I'm buried at work this week then off to Yellowstone for 9 days--where I think I may be spending a day with your brother and KenB. After that I am buried again when I get home, but maybe an October cast and blast on East Outlet? Or stripers on the Kennebec as the alewives go back to sea with some woodies and teal mixed in?

Getting Iphone lessons from me is not likely to help you much. You'd be much better off hitting up one of your students who grew up on the damn things, but I'm happy to show what little I know.

Back