It snowed down here!

Al - Thank you for the wonderful photo's. They are much appreciated. I'm surprised by the low number of Blues. I spent much of my miss spent youth, and middle age, on a quest for Greater & Lesser Snows, and Ross. Time well spent! From my experience, the older the Ross, the more "warty protuberances" at the base of the bill. The print Canadian Gold, by Michael Sieve, is on the wall in my Man Room. Not one day goes by without me looking at it, and reliving a flood of memories. Plus some damn fine Snow Goose Sandwiches. Why some call them Sky Carp baffles the hell outta me, as they are one fine bird.

Thanks for taking the time to write what you did, Vince. Michael Sieve is a fantastic artist. I, in particular, have enjoyed his work with the Dall and Bighorn sheep.

As for some who have carelessly used that coined phrase, "Flying Carp", I can only feel sorry for them. I remember as a kid back in the middle 50s being fortunate enough to crawl through a farmers stubble field trying to get close enough for a shot at some resting snows that would occasionally come into our area of western Minnesota. One day I took 3 gorgeous snow geese and thought I had the world by the tail! As for those who make fun of these magnificent creatures, I can only hope that some day they might see them in a different light. Pesonally, I think it is imperative that when you hunt, that whatever you kill, you should be thankful for it.

I have mentioned this on the site before. My waterfowl biologist friend told me one day when we were teal hunting, that if he ever had the right to distribute a doctorate degree to any one specie of waterfowl, it would be the snow goose.

Rather interesting that this goose knows how to leap frog from one national wildlife refuge to the next when migrating south. Funny how they know how to spiral upwards when leaving a refuge and then when getting to the next one, they spiral down into the confines of safety!
Al

That's a much nicer blizzard then the one we had here a couple days ago. :)
1K that's all?!?!?! HAHAHA That is one thing digital has over film. Nice bunch of photos. Those Ross' are interesting little geese.

Tim

Yes, Tim, I know exactly which storm you are referring to. My duck hunting buddy back in high school, told me all about it.

Digital cameras are remarkable. Nothing quite like that "delete" button to make things simple and inexpensive when comparing to the old film cameras. I wished that my father would have lived long enough to have experienced this new technology. He would have loved it.

As for the Ross' goose, it is my favorite.
Al

_MG_6783_zps594e9fff.jpg
[/URL]

Nice pics Al

You didnt get hit with any of that green hail that comes with that kind of snow storm?
When I lived in Fortesque NJ we would have those green hailstorms daily in the winter .LOL

Thanks a lot, Doug. Funny you mentioned something about those "green hailstorms" when snow geese are in the area. I was standing next to another photographer who got nailed on his hat, his coat, and the worst one of all was his lens glass was completely covered with a direct hit as he was taking a picture of them at they flew over us. He was mumbling to me his unfortunate luck when I said, "Look at it this way, one or two inches to the side and your face would have been the target."
Doug, I have had thousands of them fly over me and so far---knock on wood---I have yet to be nailed. Not the same for my truck however, it has really been bombed!
Al

AL - as always - great photos

i can be there with a snow blower - it will take a few days

Thanks so much, Rick. You had better start coming because soon they will be beginning their trek back to the Arctic.
Al

Al, only a little flurries last week for me but it brought some jewelry with it. Band lab said, greater snow goose, born 2008 or prior, banded 8/2009, bylot island, nuvunat, Canada. Spelling of location maybe off.
IMG_20140109_163417.jpg

Gene R.

Thanks so much for posting that picture, Gene. I really liked it. Congratulations on that banded snow goose. You are very fortunate.
Al

Thank you Al, your stories and photos are enjoyed by many here at dbhp and our spouses.
Gene R.

Al - The first time I heard the term Sky Carp, was when a GW used it. After a very successful Snow goose hunt , we stopped at a road check that was set up. While tossing the birds down on the ground like they were garbage, he said "all they got are Sky Carp". I could not believe it, from a Wildlife Officer? That was pre Conservation Season, electronic callers, etc.

Your right on the money about the way they spiral in and out of refuges. They are one clever bird, and when they do decide to come to your decoys. The old timers hang back, and let the youngsters check things out. Old birds are beautiful, but the youngsters are tender, pink like chicken, and are Deelicious! For table fare I'd have to go with the lesser. Of course it has been a long time since I hunted greater........now they feed in fields. Going to have to give them a try again.

Your photography really helps put me in Waterfowl Mode, even though everything is froze solid. Thank you very much.

Back