It's November, what's on your workbench

didnt do much carving over the summer so I need to catch up for an upcomming trip 1st Canvasback I ever carved I think it came out pretty good

Larry1stcarvedcanvasback2.jpg

White cheek pintails. last time I did these was is 1993. Probably won't do them for another 20 years. And my first American Kestrel . Mounted on Iron desert wood. No my cup of soup , but it was fun.

DSC03073.jpg

DSC03084.jpg

A couple Mallards to round out my spread. HD tan cork, basswood heads, mahogany keels, and brass hardware(still to be added). Painted with Acrylics.

Spread currently stands at 7 mallards, 3 blacks, 4 greenwing teal, 1 canvasback, and 4 buffleheads. But the buffies never see the water because I don't hunt divers on my own.

32387_10100375780130506_778936835_n.jpg

I finished these teal last month, but never got around to posting pics so here they are, although they are rigged and have been hunted they are technically still on my work bench because I'm still working on finding the right size tacks to use as eyes. Going to need to work on the green stripe after I add eyes, and I think I can brown up the hens a little, but they looked good on the water.

403437_10100364897055276_387971104_n.jpg

And it doesn't belong here but just for fun..... My lab bagged a Ringneck on Saturday. Walked about 2 hours through the brush and decided to call it quits. I was beginning to think my lab forgot what these things smelled like. We were headed back to my jeep and about 200 yards from where I parked I heard voices up ahead. around the bend I saw hikers and was about to call the dog back and leash her when her nose went up and she shot into the golden rod as birdy as can be. I could tell by the way she was acting that she had the bird stopped, but with hikers out in front, and houses on the other side of the field to my right my only hope was to get ahead of the bird and flush it back in the direction I was coming from. Managed to get around the bird, got the dog to flush it and low and behold I managed to hit it on the first shot on a left to right swing(which I often miss on). She was after it in a flash and brought it back to my hand. Made for a very satisfying end to the hunt. Sorry for the bad cell phone pic.

374061_10100373901625046_514009890_n.jpg

I was just thinking that I still have over a half of this month left to look at the marvelous thread. What talent! It is amazing what everyone can do.
Al

Great work everyone! Larry Can looks good, your carving, especially the heads is coming along nice. Spending time with Paul has payed dividends for you.

Great stuff. Hard to comment on one because I feels like I'm ignoring others... but I still have to say I love that brant Jode. :)

I'm trying some new oil paints. They are water soluble oils and I have to say it is nice to be able to just use water to wash off a brush. It's been a while since I painted with oils and never anything flat. So far so good. I suppose it is about half done depending on what I add in the background. Taking some getting use to it not being dry in 30 seconds like acrylics.

bb1.jpg

Tim

You honestly don't know how many brant rigs that happened to up here. Guys on the beach that had to hold blinds overnight to keep good spots would burn decoys in order to keep warm

Full rigs are a rarity up here because of that haha

Back