Jack Ring - foam decoys?

Dave Diefenderfer

Sponsor
I picked up a nice redhead hen decoy, that is foam, with a rubber bill. Magnum sized. I would like to find a rig mate for it... the keel has Jack Ring written on it. Is this the maker or just an owner? Anyone know?

Sounds like a Jack Ring decoy. That's how he made them. He & his wife have been in my shop a several times and they were set up at Pointe Mouillee back in the day.
Lou

Lou, any leads on finding a Drake Redhead to go with her? I see he passed back in 2007?
Thanks,

Last edited:
That is a neat decoy...for a foamer...

jackring.jpg

For auction is a diver duck, hen Redhead decoy by Jack Ring (1936-2007 ) of Grosse Ile, Michigan. Jack was a champion wood carver of duck decoys and of decorative small animals and birds. He was a consistent carving contest winner of the Point Mouillee Waterfowl Festival in the 1970s and 80s. For hunting, however, Jack produced his own version of the "perfect" Lake Erie duck decoy. This is an example of such a hunting decoy. It is oversized, measuring 18 inches long and 9 inches wide. It has an interior wooden skeleton covered by a high density urethane foam from wooden patterns which Jack created for each species of area ducks. The bills are made of rubber. The ducks are strong and resistant to breakage and gasoline spills. There are a few area hunters who take great pride in their rigs of Jack Ring decoys. Unfortunately, the production costs increased to a level that made it impossible for Jack to continue producing his special decoys. Jack passed away several years ago.

Picture and description taken from the ebay auction where Dave recently acquired this decoy. Thought I'd point out to those that question the ebay/craigslist link policy, that were someone to have posted a link to this a couple weeks ago, meaning to just "help a brother out" to find a deal, that likely Dave either would not have this decoy or would have paid a bunch more. Dave did his homework, found a decent price on a less than common decoy. When links are posted, bidding frenzies ensue that benefits the seller but not the guy that did his homework. I'll get off my soapbox now, just thought I'd share the type of situation where well meaning individuals burn those that pound the cyber pavement to find deals on the net.

Neat decoy Dave, hope you find it a rig mate.

Best

Chuck

Humm, guess I should have read the description better! Lots of important info there!!!! I'll keep my eyes open for a rig mate. She worked well on Saturday, had a pr of drakes bouncing off her for about 30 minutes. First redhead in my rig...though John Bourbon is working on finishing and painting a dozen decoys that I burlapped the bodies on a couple years ago... so I will have some redheads for next season I suspect..... we were covered with them this year... in past years we would see just a few. On Saturday, we have groups of 30 to 40 swoop through the decoys, wings whooshing... so cool! Saw more redheads than bluebills this year and that is not normal. Also so a couple WhiteWings where we don't usually see them, and it has been reported there were whistlers and an oldsquaw sighted....

Lou, any leads on finding a Drake Redhead to go with her? I see he passed back in 2007?
Thanks,

That would explain why I haven't heard from Jack in a while. ;) I haven't set up at The Pte. since 2005 and lost touch with Jack. I haven't seen any of Jacks decoys surface around here in a while but I will keep my eyes open for you as he only lived about 40 minutes from me.
Lou

Back