Joining hull and deck fiberglass???

Rex Ruths

I am about ready to join the hull and deck together on the BBSB I am finishing. The one I already have has a plastic C channel rub rail that covers the joint. Where can I find something like this???? The hull and deck are about 1/4" thick plus there will be 5200 sandwhiched in between. Any help will be appreciated.

Rex, try doing a search for:Taco Metals. If you can't order direct from them you can order it from any boat supply store.

I am about ready to join the hull and deck together on the BBSB I am finishing. The one I already have has a plastic C channel rub rail that covers the joint. Where can I find something like this???? The hull and deck are about 1/4" thick plus there will be 5200 sandwhiched in between. Any help will be appreciated.

The good stuff you're looking for is by "Trim Lok". I've used it for years on our boats. Go to: www.trimlok.com It seems to me the stock number is "375" for what you need. I used to get it out of Lavanture Products in Elkhart, Indiana but they no longer carry all the sizes. Of course, the size I NEED is not stocked. Might give Trim Lok a holler as to who carries it near you. I order it in 250' rolls. Could also check with marinas....some stock it.

Be sure to remember that 5200 requires 7 days to cure. Another option for adhesive is the 3M Windshield Adhesive/Sealer. I use that on some of our boats. It cures FAST.
Holler with more questions and let me know how we can help.
Lou
www.lockstockbarrell.com

Oh..........when joining a deck & hull, like you indicate........we use 3 oz. CSM (Chopped Strand Mat) & PolyEster laminating resin (between deck & hull edges) and clamp it down (plates & welding clamps-even clamping pressure-see pic). This makes a great, watertight, stong union
Lou

A-ELO1-12.JPG

I think 3M also has a fast set version of the 5200 that might work? It's working time is very short at least, not sure about full cure. I bought some by mistake once...

Lou - that's a lot of clamps!!!

Charlie

I think 3M also has a fast set version of the 5200 that might work? It's working time is very short at least, not sure about full cure. I bought some by mistake once...

Lou - that's a lot of clamps!!!

Charlie

Yes, they do have the 3M 5200F which is faster. Seems to me it's about 3 day cure but that's not full cure. We used to use the 5200 on the Brant II along with rivets for joining the deck and hull. There were times when the boat was in the water mere hours after assembly. Fortunately, water is a curing agent for that stuff....moisture in the air and well as in the lake. :)

Clamps.........yup, lots of them. I had a few that came with the company when I bought it but I needed more. Found a great deal so I bought 200 of them. We'd be lost without them.
Lou

Back